Mecum Kissimmee

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
Hmmm... at this point I wonder whether "Walt" would have been better off selling theeeee Barn Find car exactly as found/untouched?
Seems like - at least in some cases - the whole "Barn Find" aura has made such cars worth more [or at least sell for] more than a fully restored example :confused:

It will surely be interesting to see what it sells for now.

kymmee

Silver Member
Hmmm... at this point I wonder whether "Walt" would have been better off selling theeeee Barn Find car exactly as found/untouched?
Seems like - at least in some cases - the whole "Barn Find" aura has made such cars worth more [or at least sell for] more than a fully restored example :confused:

It will surely be interesting to see what it sells for now.
I agree with you Mark, but on the other hand it is becoming an abused phrase like "survivor," Not saying this car is not a true barn find, but their sure are lots of them popping up.

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
I agree with you Mark, but on the other hand it is becoming an abused phrase like "survivor," Not saying this car is not a true barn find, but their sure are lots of them popping up.
^^^ Yes - definitely headed for being an overused (and abused) description... same as "survivor" :rolleyes:

I didn't realize it was a barn find. I know for sure it was not exposed to the sun since the dash and plastics are in perfect condition. I also had no idea they only made 1,500, it looks like your registry has 443 known to exist at this point. I've seen several of these cars at various BOP shows over the years and always wanted one. I also own an 87 base Regal with turbo option that I bought 15 years ago with a disassembled engine in the trunk. 15 years later it's still running great but I do have a couple 109 blocks and enough parts to build 2 engines on stand by.

I drove my newly acquired TTA from Kissimmee to my home in Seminole, Fl which is in the St. Pete/Clearwater area, about 100 miles. I noticed the interior noise level is very high. There is a "white noise" sound coming from the rear, maybe axle bearings?? Anyway, I'm planning to drop the axle and go through the entire rear. I was expecting to see an 8.5" rear like my Regal but it looks like a 7.75", is this correct? Doesn't seem like it's heavy enough for this amount of power, please correct me if I'm wrong. Where's the best place to get parts for this rear? There's also engine rumble contributing to the noise level. When I rev the engine under the hood the engine doesn't rock side to side, it's like the mounts are cooked and rock solid. I looked on several auto parts sites and it looks like everyone has right sides but no lefts. Are they different? My Buicks all have same mounts on both sides.

Here's my current collection: 38 Buick Special business coupe, 65 Buick Special Conv 300 V8 4 speed, 65 Special post coupe 300 V8 AT, 65 Skylark post coupe Turbo V6 200R4, 66 Skylark GS AT A/C 2ea, 69 Firebird Conv 350 3 X 2 A/C 200R4, 87 Base Regal Turbo, 89 TTA, 89 Porsche 928 S4 5 speed.

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
Yes, I bought this car Friday at Mecum. It now has 51,877 miles on it. BTW, how can I tell what my car number is?? The GNXs have a dash plaque.
Welcome aboard.
I was confused by discussing 2 cars in the same thread...
You can look up your "car #" [on here], look for the vin list thread under the "History and Memorabilia" area (if you haven't already found it)

fbody4me

Hi Phil welcome aboard. I just did motor mounts a few months ago and TTA984 is correct. Its the same part number (2627) for both sides. You might also want to take a good look at your oil pan gasket and rear main seal while your down there. Hopefully you have an easier time than I did, mine were so old the rubber had compressed to where the pan was contacting the k member and getting to the bolts with the rubber in the way was a PITA!

BTW I think you got a great deal on your car. It looks like it has been taken care of. Also looks like the rear spoiler has been replaced(no cracks) and that is about a grand to do. Nice paint and interior, you got a great deal! From the pics it looks like the wheels on the passenger side might have been swapped,hopefully it didnt scare up the back side of the front wheel(should be rear wheel).

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
... I drove my newly acquired TTA from Kissimmee to my home in Seminole, Fl which is in the St. Pete/Clearwater area, about 100 miles. I noticed the interior noise level is very high. There is a "white noise" sound coming from the rear, maybe axle bearings?? Anyway, I'm planning to drop the axle and go through the entire rear. I was expecting to see an 8.5" rear like my Regal but it looks like a 7.75", is this correct?....
You can wait for someone with more of the technical details than I can give, but the TTA is a pretty noisy and rough ride compared to a Regal/GN. I was advised not to buy one due to the stiff ride :rolleyes: Mine has an aftermarket exhaust and that helps keep the noise level up, too.
The rear is referred to as "Australian" and is not the same as the turbo-Regals. Apparently it does not have a lot of safety factor in terms of hp/torque for this application. The "go-fast" crowd usually replaces the rear in a TTA, there are threads on here with examples of installing the S60 and Ford 9" (at least I think that is what I've read).
Keep asking and I'm sure folks will chime in with whatever you want to know.
Good luck with the car, they are a blast.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Moutor mounts; I think I covered the details around this on here before but in short from the factory both left and right started as the same mount then the left one were grinded down in one spot for clearence hence got a new part number BUT I also used the same motor mounts as mentioned above and had a very close look at any clearence issues to see if I would have to modify the mount like the factory originals but no need for that as there's plenty of clearence so not sure why the factory did do that to be honest.

Rear axle ... 9BOLT.COM Technical Information on the Aussie 9 Bolt Differential

No 201 where originally ordered and sold (I presume) by Superior Pontiac Co, in San Antonio TX and was built in Feb 1989 .... spent time in Nevada at some point in life but not sure when ...

Hi Phil welcome aboard. I just did motor mounts a few months ago and TTA984 is correct. Its the same part number (2627) for both sides. You might also want to take a good look at your oil pan gasket and rear main seal while your down there. Hopefully you have an easier time than I did, mine were so old the rubber had compressed to where the pan was contacting the k member and getting to the bolts with the rubber in the way was a PITA!

BTW I think you got a great deal on your car. It looks like it has been taken care of. Also looks like the rear spoiler has been replaced(no cracks) and that is about a grand to do. Nice paint and interior, you got a great deal! From the pics it looks like the wheels on the passenger side might have been swapped,hopefully it didnt scare up the back side of the front wheel(should be rear wheel).
One of the sounds is like the exhaust is touching the body, but it's not. If the oil pan is touching the K member it would effectively make about the same sound! Thanks for the info and kind words!

Top Bottom