Convert Air Conditioning?

mm5300

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on converting the A/C to 134a. My A/C isn't working and I am going to get the lines, etc checked first, but seems like R12 is difficult to find these days, and my mechanic recommended converting it. My car isn't 100% original, but I do keep all the original parts that I might replace for performance and other stuff. But does anyone see the benefit of trying to find R12 and finding someone who still has their equipment working, or just convert to 134a? I'd be very interested to here was people think. Thanks!

If you go through with the conversion:

1) replace the orifice tube with a variable orifice tube, it will lower the vent temp at least 12 degrees.
2) It's also a good idea to use barrier hose.
3) They make a solvent flush to use for R12 to R134 conversions since the oil chemistry is different.

If your car is concourse lever you will probably want to keep it R12. Seems I've seen where there are refrigerants that are compatible out there now. If I see it again I'll let you know.

instro84

i did the conversion on 308 last summer, all new parts and had hoses rebuild to be compatible with the 134 oil. took it to a shop had them vacuum it and fill with 134 and it works good. i'l out in so cal in the desert near edwards afb where for the last 2 weeks its been well over 100 degrees, ac is cool and engine temps are around 185 with both fans on.

instro84

lets see, i think the hoses expensive part was getting the lines rebuilt, my car came with a new condenser and dryer, i got everything else from rock auto then after having a shop vac and fill and leak check. even if i bought all the parts myself i think it can be done under a grand.

DynoDave

I was listening to the KSHE (St. Louis) morning show Friday, and they were saying 102*. And the humidity in temps like that is always high, being in the Mississippi river valley. Glad I was listening from a distance. Made my 92* in Michigan seem quite tolerable.

instro84

Robert, its been good only had one problem left me stranded in vegas last year when fuel pump went out. i've rebuilt the front suspension and a few other things since then i usually drive it to work once i week (90 miles round trip), struts and brake are next on my list.

To my knowledge the pump has never been replaced prior so it lasted a long time.. in other news before i paid $1600 for A/C i would just roll the window down...:eek:

dvernst

Yeah even with California prices that seems a little high to me.

Anyone have thoughts on what the conversion should run?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have a receipt from the previous owner of my Buick for $145 for the R134 conversion. Air blows really cold. My TTA is still using R12. It's relatively easy to find a few cans on Craigslist still.

jthompson

When alone, I can "just roll the windows down", but the wife and kids need a bit more cooling power especially in the current NC heat wave.

Glad I found this thread. I'm probably going to do this project to convert soon.

I found R12 relatively easy on ebay, as the demand is way down now. I only found ONE shop with R12 equipment, so I'll be going the 134 route. There's been recent threads on the FB 20th anniv group too.

I'll probably do the install and take it to a shop from there. It's supposed to be relatively simple if you have tools. Anyone do their own here?

Top Bottom