Turbo Removal

markt111

I am only s few months into these cars, I didn't think the turbo removal would be such an ass kicker. Any tips tricks? Seems a lot of disassembly is required. I am trying to remove it, send it out over the winter to have the seal replaced if it is worth repairing and once I know what I have get the proper chip and injectors...

instro84

shouldn't be to hard, i'll be changing mine soon. i know in my buick i could have the turbo off in about 10 mins haven't done the TA yet though

J bracket, turbo to header, turbo to downpipe, oil feed and oil drain, the drain pipe is a real bitch.. use studs and nuts when you put it back on.

pont1230

not a bad job at all installing the bolts back on the drain pipe was a pain tho.I would go withb studs like robert said,will save some knucle pain.

markt111

I was thinking Bison's or Cottons, Both are similar distance and gave good reputations. I think Bison builds/upgrades Turbos thou right?

I am new to these cars and turbos in general, I am also a little unknowing of exactly what is in my car as it went thru an unknowing owner before me(bought in July) the mods were done prior to him and he was not mechanical enough to ask questions when he bought it. Part of the reason I am pulling things apart is to see what I have, there are no stampings on the Turbonetics turbo, I need to order a TT chip and need all the data I can get. I will most likely take it somewhere in the spring but I need to get in there and familiar.

what I have so far:
Turbonetics measures 60MM intake, 58MM exhaust, still haven't found any numbers, may know more when I get it out, blows a little oil
Accufab throttle body, measures 65MM
intake, still digging
36lb injectors, I have the specs at home
Transmission shifts quick and hard, someone has been in there
upgraded injector harness
downpipe, appears stock 2" inlet
turbo outlet exhaust elbow measures 60MM/2.38"

Questions?
what stall will a stock converter flash to?
would my turbo be worth repairing/upgrading?
Injectors are probably on the small side?
I assume there is no way to verify the fuel pump has been upgrade without pulling the tank?
what is the stock turbo exhaust outlet size?

Try to answer in order
1. 2400 i think
2. Depends, Bison is the man to ask
3. Yes, for just about anything other than stock
4. You can look at the neck and see if its off center in the hole but i would not leave it to chance, WS6 has a FP gauge for sale, smart investment as even new pumps can fail.
5. Bison is the man. #..203-640-2126

markt111

Follow up: that bottom bolt for the J Bracket is a b**ch, I had to bend and cut wrenches to access and remove....
I sent the Turbo to Bison, good news is it looks good, no issues. I thought the turbo may have been my smoking issue but apparently it looks great. it should go back on much easier than it came off now that I have done it once and have custom tools LOL

Top Bottom