Head Gasket

instro84

time for the dreaded head gasket replacement. quick question on the TTA can i pull engine but itself or is it easier with trans attached?

instro84

i'll may do that, i've got a few oil leaks i want to go after looks like they are coming from the oil cooler adapter, gonna do compression and leak down today, do oil milkshake but blowing white some out the riverside breather.

instro84

did a compression test the other day because my leak down tested was broken (did it cold didn't wanna burn hands), all cylinders read within 5% of each other except #4 was zero, time to get this thing up on ramp and get the power tools out.

instro84

i'll post up a pick once i get the heads off, seeing traces of rtv so someone has had the intake off before.

Last edited:
The guy i bought it from got it from the org. owner and he had it 2-3yrs but didn't drive it much cause he could not get it to run right, i'm thinking some backyard mec. thought it had a vac. leak and pulled the intake.. blind leading the blind.

Coltsfan1

If you have a lift I would drop the trans then pull the motor. That's what I did. You will need a arm extension on your engine puller because of the of the nose of the ta. Going at angle helps too depending on the engine puller u have

instro84

yup its been running good, i bought it from a guy in foregone last year, haven't done much to it added ally to it (the gas out here in cali is screechy sometimes) down pipe and new exhaust it was all good till last monday when gasket blew. was still running smooth little higher idle when it blew.

Does it still have a aftermarket boost gauge? You also need to prime the Alky every time you start it but that shouldn't matter at 15psi and it looks like a sudden bang, make sure the gauge you have is accurate... how many miles on it now?

instro84

just under 89k, still has the ado boost gauge right around 15psi on power logger, no knock yea it was still running smooth at speed just smoking

Top Bottom