Coil springs?

Benny04

So Ive just finally got my car on the ground after many suspension changes. I used the closest to stock springs and now the car looks like a 4x4(picture added for reference). I seriously don't want to have to put it out of service for another month but it's looking that way anyway. So I guess my question is what springs should I be running on this car to maintain the sports car look? It seems like stock springs are non existent but I'd like to keep that 27+ ride height that it had before. Any suggestions or firsthand would be excellent. Thanks!

Attachments

72firebird

Super Moderator
What springs did you end up using?

Note that once you drive it the car should settle some, even up to 1". I have the Eibach Pro-kit that I installed 15+ years ago and if I remember right ended up being ~0.5-0.75" lower. My car seems to sit a little higher in the front that in the rear, but with stock suspension setup there's not real way to adjust outside of cutting the spring.

Only good side profile I have, but this was just after getting it back out after being on jackstands for a while so probably settled a little and with 17s

An older picture with the factory 16s and Eibach ProKit, but it's a little dark

Benny04

Note that once you drive it the car should settle some, even up to 1". I have the Eibach Pro-kit that I installed 15+ years ago and if I remember right ended up being ~0.5-0.75" lower. My car seems to sit a little higher in the front that in the rear, but with stock suspension setup there's not real way to adjust outside of cutting the spring.

Only good side profile I have, but this was just after getting it back out after being on jackstands for a while so probably settled a little and with 17s

Thanks for the reply. I went with moog 5662 in the front and 5665 in the rear. The rear springs seem to ride where i want, but the fronts are way too heavy for the v6. I want to look into weight jacks but I'm not quite sold on them yet, I like the adjustability of them.

72firebird

Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply. I went with moog 5662 in the front and 5665 in the rear. The rear springs seem to ride where i want, but the fronts are way too heavy for the v6. I want to look into weight jacks but I'm not quite sold on them yet, I like the adjustability of them.
Interesting, hadn't seen those before. Looks like you'd have to change springs again though based on the specs from UMI they include a 650 lbs front spring for their normal lowering kit and 800 lbs on the weight jack kits. It's going to affect the ride quality some as well.

Benny04

Yeah I've checked them out, I'm very skeptical but the idea seems cool. They seem to be pretty popular amongst the thirdgen guys but nobody on here seems to be talking about them, which is why I wanted a second opinion. They definitely will ride harsher, which is not too bad to me, but how much harsher? And will I run into any issues with spring length and longevity issues? I called up UMI and they basically told me what they wanted me to hear, but I'm not sold yet.

72firebird

Super Moderator
Yeah I've checked them out, I'm very skeptical but the idea seems cool. They seem to be pretty popular amongst the thirdgen guys but nobody on here seems to be talking about them, which is why I wanted a second opinion. They definitely will ride harsher, which is not too bad to me, but how much harsher? And will I run into any issues with spring length and longevity issues? I called up UMI and they basically told me what they wanted me to hear, but I'm not sold yet.
it shouldn't be THAT much harsher, and you could tone it down maybe a little with adjustable shocks turned down some. I don't think I'd be too concerned from longevity, it's made of similar material as their other suspension parts and the material remains loaded so it doesn't truly see too much "impact". The system is used pretty commonly in racing.

Now that you've pointed them out I'm slightly considering it because I want to get the front a little lower but the coilover setups for 3rd gens are pretty involved. My main hangup is I told myself after doing it once that I'd never change the springs again on the TTA.

Benny04

it shouldn't be THAT much harsher, and you could tone it down maybe a little with adjustable shocks turned down some. I don't think I'd be too concerned from longevity, it's made of similar material as their other suspension parts and the material remains loaded so it doesn't truly see too much "impact". The system is used pretty commonly in racing.

Now that you've pointed them out I'm slightly considering it because I want to get the front a little lower but the coilover setups for 3rd gens are pretty involved. My main hangup is I told myself after doing it once that I'd never change the springs again on the TTA.
Yeah getting those springs in will was not a struggle I want to make again, but depending on whether I end up buying these weight jacks I might buy new arms again. Let me know if you end up buying them, id love to see the difference!

Benny04

Not sure if my messages have gone through, what is the eibach kit you used?

Top Bottom