301 to 305?

I was told that the block of a 301 is the same as for the chev 305. Is tis true? Is the only real difference between the 301turbo engine and the 305 all of the turbo preps(Heads, crank, pistons, etc.)

If the 301 can be turned into a 305 what would have to be done?
Just curious. :?:

mr.turbota

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi jisturm!
No, the 301 block is not the same as the 305. Chevy blocks are different than the Pontiac blocks. Parts from one won't bolt up to the other.
Now, parts from the regular 301 can bolt up to the 301 Turbo, and vice versa. However, you won't gain anything over the 301 Turbo by changing anything.
As for making a 305 out of a 301, you can bore out abit to get near a 305 displacement, but the chevy parts won't work on the Pontiac motor.

Hope this helps,

George :twisted:

mrturbota,

I was just wondering. I was going to put a 350 in my ta but my wife wants to see if the 301 turbo can be kept. If we keep it I need to get it rebuilt but was also wondering about perf parts. I have heard of some but not many. Also I will need a turbo rebuilt kit or new turbo. Can anybody Help?

I have about $2000 maybe more for the engine.
:?: :D

mr.turbota

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi jisturm!
For a Turbo (itself) rebuilt, I use Turbo City, in the city of Orange, Calif. I don't have their address or phone number right now, but if you need it, let me know. I can get it! It has been quite a while since I had one rebuilt, so I don't know a price.
As for the rest of the engine. If it needs it, any shop should be able to do it.
I don't know what city you live in/near, but most major cities have a turbo rebuilding place. Check your phone book. You may have to check out marine engine rebuilding shops as well, although they will be more. Here in Los Angeles, there are quite a few shops popping up (we can thank the ricers for that-one good thing about them-Ha!)
It will never outperfom a 400/455 pontiac, but these cars can hold their own in the twisties/turnies!! Gotta love the WS6!
Nunzi out in New York does some small performance mods, you may want to contact him. I'm not sure it would be worth it.
Like I said before, check out http://www.transamcountry.com
They have links to check out and such!

Good luck,

George :twisted:

Hello.

There is a place in Spokane WA to get engines, they are very reasonable and they come with a 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty. I looked into a rebuilt 301 for my Turbo TA, and it was about $1,100 dollars. There is usually about $300 core charge, and shipping is like $75 dollars. I bought a 4bolt Vortec Chev 350 from them for my Truck, and have never had a problem.

The number is (509) 325-4558

Once you have a good engine, I have only found a few good sources of reference about performance on a 301.

Try this site, the "301 Turbo Shrine"

http://publish.uwo.ca/~agrehorn/301shrine.html

Hope this helps, I am in the same boat, hehe. I think I am going to keep my original Engine, so it is all stock, and just rebuild it with a few performance mods.

Top Bottom