1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

#545 Next To A What?

Discussion in 'Photo / Video / License Plate Gallery' started by Mark T-TB, May 18, 2015.

1. Mark T-TB

Mark T-TB Car Crazy from birth

I drove #545 over to the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum (in Philly, less than 1/2 hour ride for me) for their "Form follows Function" demonstration day a couple of weeks back.
    I've gotten friendly with the Museum's main [volunteer] photographer and knew that he would like to see my car. He had his Unimog there as a guest for the Event, I thought that this would make an interesting contrast to see them side-by-side :cool:
    IMG_3670.JPG IMG_3671.JPG

2. jarredsoon

jarredsoon Gold Member

Nice pics. I don't think I've ever seen a unimog before.

3. Mark T-TB

Thanks.
    My brother had a Matchbox Unimog when we were kids, not sure tthat I ever saw one in real-life before now either.
    Pretty sure that this one is a '74... and served its time working at a tulip farm in Holland.
    As you may surmise, it is sort of 1/2 farm tractor and 1/2 truck:eek:

4. 2QUIK6

2QUIK6 Well-Known Member

I've never even heard of a Unimog much less seen one! lol Nice! Probably would work well pulling Ford trucks out of the mud around here!…long story...

5. Mike Arrigo

Mike Arrigo Well-Known Member

Unimog's are supposed to be able to go through almost anything. Made by Mercedes. That one looks super nice.

6. DynoDave

DynoDave Well-Known Member

That's how I knew what it was! I had one too.

7. Mark T-TB

Yes, yes, and definitely :D.
    That one is a [non-turbo :(] 6-cyl diesel... sounds just like an over-the-road truck.
    Andrew (the owner) was telling some guys that he pulled 2 National Guard Humvees out in a snowstorm a couple of years ago... then finished the rescue - a lady that was in need of medical attention.
    He also noted that they can go right over a 4 ft high wall, his is "rated" to go thru something like 42" of water... etc.
    So, yes Rob, could probably pull the odd Ford pick-em-up out of the Texas mud, too :rolleyes:

8. 2QUIK6

2QUIK6 Well-Known Member

Cool info, any idea how many of those may be in the US? It's not a monster truck, but it looks like it could easily drive over your TTA parked beside it :eek: We have had way more rain than we needed to end our drought, there are things stuck in the mud all over..even had a 3' diameter tree fall over in my back yard without any wind…had a stuck Ford..tried to get pulled out by another Ford and it got stuck..took my Jeep to get them both!

9. kymmee

kymmee Silver Member

Very cool! First time I have ever seen or even heard of one of those. Is that a red car a superbird?

10. Mark T-TB

I don't really have any more info. I see the owner at the Museum pretty frequently, he has a bunch of cool (some really rare and/or fast) cars and a couple of airplanes. We joked a bit about how the Unimog tires are probably higher than either of the Museum's GT40s, I'm sure he could drive right over the TTA.

On that weather... it sounds like your area sorta went from bust (drought) to boom (too much rain) all at once :eek: - ouch.

11. Mark T-TB

Yes, a very nice example with a 440 4-speed and the "pistol grip" shifter. The guys staged a "drag race" between the Unimog and the Superbird.
    That Demonstration Day also included one of their 300SL Gullwings.
    I think that the rest of my pix are still in the camera...

12. RatFink

RatFink TORQUE

cool pics

13. 2QUIK6

2QUIK6 Well-Known Member

Yep, a month ago, lakes were at less than 50%, some 24' low, now some are 13' over full, expecting to get hammered with heavy rains Sunday. The lake I live on is about 6' from coming in my door now. I could use a Unimog around here!