1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

Almost Nos Set Of 4 Goodyear Eagle Zr50 245/50/16 Gatorback Tires

Discussion in 'Parts for Sale' started by 1992TAConvertible5speed, Jan 8, 2017.

1. 1992TAConvertible5speed

1992TAConvertible5speed

image.jpeg image.jpeg I am selling a almost New NOS complete set of 4 Goodyear Eagle ZR50 Gatorbacks tires. 245/50/ZR16. They were removed from a 1990 Iroc Camaro with hardly any use on them and have been properly covered and stored indoors in a climate controlled environment since that time. There is no dry rot on them anywhere. There isn't any sign of unusual wear or uneven wear on them and the tread still is meaty, again very close to new. These would make a perfect addition to any 1987-1992 camaro, firebird, Iroc, z28, GTA, Trans Am or any third Gen that you might be doing a authentic restoration to, or if you have a low mileage survivor that you want to keep all original for the car shows. With this all being said they have not been mounted on a car for over 20 years and they are not new tires. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions. Only reason that I'm selling these is because I decided to put a set of 17" Hawks GTA wheels on my TA instead of restoring my original 16" GTA wheels. Call or text Shawn at 310-279-6974 several pictures available via text.

2. Jan Larsson

Jan Larsson Super Moderator Staff Member

3. 1992TAConvertible5speed

1992TAConvertible5speed

Hi Jan,
    Hope you're well. It's Shawn in Los Angeles! I am asking $1000 for the complete set of Gatorbacks plus whatever the actual cost of shipping is.
    Happy new year,
    Shawn

4. TTA855

TTA855 White lightning drinker

These tires would be great for those purposes, but everyone considering these old tires should be aware that even if they look to be in good shape, they will not grip well. Rubber gets hard over time, and loses its tackiness. I only put about 1,000 miles a year on my car, but I replace the tires at least every 10 years, even though they still have lots of tread, because they lose their grip. In other words, these tires would not be appropriate for someone who plans to push his car hard. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying these tires; I just want to throw this out there in case there is anyone who isn't aware of this.

Fabio Apolito likes this.
  5. turbo89

turbo89 Active Member

They didn't grip even when they were new :)

Taturbo1989 and robert lee like this.
  6. Mark T-TB

Mark T-TB Car Crazy from birth

I think that the OP understands that these 20+ year old tires are basically suited for a car for "static display" purposes, based on the wording.

Ever since the Firestone/Explorer episodes, the date codes on tires has become more useful and stressed by "everyone".
    The "Tire Rack" guys have told me not to run on anything over about 7 years after the date code. Even tires that "look good" can supposedly come apart, a couple in one of the other Clubs that we're in were badly/permanently injured when a tire disintegrated at highway speed.
    Be safe out there :cool:

7. Jan Larsson

Jan Larsson Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Shawn and Happy New Year to you too, good to hear from you hope things are well at your end !

I'm sure someone will snap them up to have a period correct set of OEM wheels/tires for shows etc.

Or you can do what I did (only found one tire date coded 1992 ... and not easy to find on this side of the pond as you can imagine; they were used on the Lotus Esprit's and tires were manufactured by Good Year in Germany and the Netherlands ... mine was made in Germany) see attached picture; for my man cave lol !

Attached Files:

8. Coltsfan1

Coltsfan1 Well-Known Member

In addition I might add that most tire stores will not mount any tires over 10 years old. So if you buy make sure u have a connection or your own tire mechine

TTA855 likes this.