Cooling Issues

I have an 89 TTA (970) and have replaced the OEM radiator with an aftermarket, 4 row alum one with dual fans because of overheating issues. It appears to still not have enough air flow even with a 160 tstat and extreme radiator. Only thing I can think of is to install more fans in front of the AC condenser to push air and let the others pull. It only seems to overheat when AC is on and it really does appear to be a flow issue (these cars did not flow air well due to the front body design).
Any ideas?

pont1230

Have you checked the thermostat,water pump,are the fans coming on, any leaks etc.If all those items check out good may have a possible blown head gasket.

Have you checked the thermostat,water pump,are the fans coming on, any leaks etc.If all those items check out good may have a possible blown head gasket.
New 160 tstat, new water pump (no leaks at all), new head gaskets and bolts, both fans coming on at 185 and does not get above 190 at idle with AC off. When AC is on, overheats. I drove it a second ago for 10 miles with AC on and it hit 245. I am starting to think there is not enough space between the radiator and condenser. Because it is an aftermarket radiator with 2 large fans, the condenser is up REAL close to the radiator. I am thinking the condenser is getting hot and in turn overheating the radiator. With not enough airflow or enough room, I wonder if that could be it?

TurboTweak's chip turns the fans on at 165, the only tta i had that run that hot was 308.. before the tt chip, i would also go back to a f-body radiator.. tta's are very finicky as i'm sure you are finding out, i have also seen a rad cap cause overheating as it is a sealed system.

TurboTweak's chip turns the fans on at 165, the only tta i had that run that hot was 308.. before the tt chip, i would also go back to a f-body radiator.. tta's are very finicky as i'm sure you are finding out, i have also seen a rad cap cause overheating as it is a sealed system.
I was just about to try a 22lb cap.

Finicky....yeah, driving me nuts!

I still have the original radiator, but it is SO SMALL

F-body rads are running on 9sec cars with no problems, if you have the org. chip you need to hit it with a hammer, just so you are not tempted to use it again.

TTA984

Gold Member
That was the first thing I did to my TTA in 2010 when I got it was put a new Fbody radiator and 160 thermostat and did the cooling mod from caspers and also turbo tweak chip. They do run a little hotter with the AC on, but not enough to matter. Robert is right about the Fbody radiators and TT chips.Even if I run it on the hottest of days it is fine.

michbc3

I have an 89 TTA (970) and have replaced the OEM radiator with an aftermarket, 4 row alum one with dual fans because of overheating issues. It appears to still not have enough air flow even with a 160 tstat and extreme radiator. Only thing I can think of is to install more fans in front of the AC condenser to push air and let the others pull. It only seems to overheat when AC is on and it really does appear to be a flow issue (these cars did not flow air well due to the front body design).
Any ideas?
On the East Coast of Florida (mid-way down the state basically), my car runs about 10-20 degrees hotter with A/C on. I would not think of driving it hard in that condition. I have a 160 thermostat. But with A/C off on a 90 degree day, temp gauge reads 180 to 190, not 160. A/C on brings it up to 200 to 210.

Top Bottom