Dutt Neck For Intercooler

TTA984

Gold Member
Talked to my mechanic today and he said he had a Dutt neck in stock for the intercooler.

He said he could have his alum welder, weld in on. He had welded about 6 necks for him.

Also wanting to put a 3" downpipe on.

He said he had the car purring like a kitten. After replacing 2 bad injectors.:burnrubber:

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to bring the car, but it didn't work out. Could only get off work friday.

So, catching a early flight friday and should be there by sometime in the early afternoon.:dirol:
Glad you can make it at least, look me up when you get there so we can put a face to the name !

I'll tell ya, I don't care what the HP numbers say or don't say, the Dutt Neck IC mod for my car was one of the most noticeable mods for me judging by the seat of the pants dyno test. Now my mods aren't extreme, just the usual stuff that most anyone who mods has done(injectors, chip, adj fpr & WG, K&N cone etc..). The Dutt Neck made it spool quicker and I gained 1-2 psi without changing anything other than the IC.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
I'll tell ya, I don't care what the HP numbers say or don't say, the Dutt Neck IC mod for my car was one of the most noticeable mods for me judging by the seat of the pants dyno test. Now my mods aren't extreme, just the usual stuff that most anyone who mods has done(injectors, chip, adj fpr & WG, K&N cone etc..). The Dutt Neck made it spool quicker and I gained 1-2 psi without changing anything other than the IC.
That's what I heard from everyone that got one ... heck need to get one myself one of these days ...

I think it's a valid modification for the $$$. Lets the turbo run more efficiently, less backpressure in that crimped angle of the stock elbow.
More BOOST!!:hooray:

Sweet6

I think for the money it is a good mod. It will free up 2lbs of boost IMO. We are limited on the TTA for ICs mods. This seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Or you can buy a complete Dutt Neck IC for $150-175 too. Just have to swap them out.

I did mine for pretty cheap. The IC wasn't more than 40-50 bucks, then the cost for the Dutt Neck, I did all the cutting & fitting work, then sent it to work with my dad since he had a welder buddy there who would handle that for us. Got it back, cleaned it up, painted it. And for a used IC, the fins weren't too bad at all. Another good to the feel mod is the RJC boost controller, the little brass valve, after I installed that I definitely realized just how much creeping of the wastegate opening up under pressure these cars can have from the stock wastegate. Just the little things here and there that at least feel like they make a nice, noticeable difference.

TTA984

Gold Member
Who sells them with the neck already on there? Also thought about finding a good used GN one and putting the neck on it.

That way I could keep my TTA one so I don't have to modify it.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Mike - that's a good idea. Keep the original one intact.
That's what I would prefer to do ... only things is the GN IC don't have as many rows or something like the TTA one (same as on the GNX I beleive) so not sure if that would be a bad thing to do or not?

TTA984

Gold Member
That's what I would prefer to do ... only things is the GN IC don't have as many rows or something like the TTA one (same as on the GNX I beleive) so not sure if that would be a bad thing to do or not?

I pulled up a old thread on TB awhile back, and they were talking about this.
Seem like Razor and others on there, meaning the GN one would work and there are no significate proof that the extra rows on the TTA ic improves performance.:beach:

That's what I did, bought a used GN IC and modded it so I could keep my original TTA IC in tact. I can't imagine the extra fins/inch or rows on the GN IC making that much of a significant difference, but then again I'm not the engineer who chose to use our IC over the GN one, so what do I know.

Once in a blue moon you'll find a used Dutt Neck IC for sale in the "for sale" section on turbobuick.com, otherwise do what I did and do the work yourself as long as you know a reasonable welder, or pay the extra $$ and find someone who sells them already 100% complete. You could post in the "want to buy" section and see what response you get.

TTA976

Silver Member
Red told me to find the biggest IC and stuff it into the TTA.

I remember looking at the old school mags where owners would port the stocker to keep it stock appearing while gaining air flow. I do believe their gains since they were cleaning out the old dirty IC as well as porting the neck.

Anything we can do to free up air in these cars is great. Free up the air, and cool it with the alky.

Attachments

Top Bottom