Engine Lift Brackets?

kwiktsi

What are the chances anybody has any? Heck, I don't even care if they're tta or gn as long as they fit and are functional. Not going for a correct resto, just something I noticed missing now that I'm pulling the motor. Thanks.
Joe

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
The TTA one is hard to find ... engines left the factory with the GN bracket on there and were later replaced (@ PAS) most likely to help stabilise the turbo better compared to the GN ... vibrations making the passanger side header crack ....

Post on the GN forums to find the GN bracket .... there's only the one bracket on these cars

kwiktsi

Stabilize the turbo better? My turbo has a bracket that bolts to the head and also holds the heat shield on it. Was there a different design turbo bracket too then? I'm lost lol. Thanks.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the TTA bracket (first 3 pics) ... attach to both the intake stud (like the GN bracket) (you see this in pic 5) and also the back of the "turbo J shaped" bracket (pic 4) (where the heatshield also bolts to ... helping to support this area in another direction if you look how this is all bolted together.
PICT0012.JPG PICT0011.JPG PICT0010.JPG PICT0137.JPG PICT0048.JPG

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
And this is the GN bracket as installed on our engines @ BOC and shipped to PAS ... simple bracket just attached to the intake stud ... so if you compare you see how the TTA bracket help support the turbo better in one additonal direction so a useful improvement as they had issues with the GN setup they tried to eliminate to reduce warranty issues / claims ...
upload_2016-5-2_14-14-50.png

kwiktsi

And this is the GN bracket as installed on our engines @ BOC and shipped to PAS ... simple bracket just attached to the intake stud ... so if you compare you see how the TTA bracket help support the turbo better in one additonal direction so a useful improvement as they had issues with the GN setup they tried to eliminate to reduce warranty issues / claims ...
View attachment 7931
Ahh, that's what that extra bolt is for on there. My J bracket has a bolt there just tightened down to the bracket and I was wondering why.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Ahh, that's what that extra bolt is for on there. My J bracket has a bolt there just tightened down to the bracket and I was wondering why.
On the TTA yes ... on the GN it's for a small heatshield as the GN got the vent pipe on the passanger side valve cover coming out in that area ... so the engineers simply reused that threaded hole (nut) on the J bracket saving them to redesign it (and saving cost).

pont1230

wow you got that thing apart ,back in the day we just put a chain diagonal and bolt that to the heads on each corner and hook up the engine crane and out it came.

kwiktsi

Yup, it's even more apart now lol.. That's what I typically do too, just figured I'd try to find them since I noticed they were missing :).

Top Bottom