Headliner Sail Panels-Classic Industries

kymmee

Silver Member
I like this company and have been happy with a lot of their products, but I would rate the sail panel covers as less than desirable. The plastic form is stiff and doesnt have a natural curve like the orig. They give you velcro squares to attach them, which I dont see holding up for very long when exposed to diffferent temperatures. Anyway, I am returning them, didnt even try to install. Ended up recovering my orig with their headliner material. Took about 2 hours total, not difficult. In the photo, theirs is on the right, my recovered one on the left. I still need to do my headliner, which will be more challenging, but I'm going to wait till fall. Time to enjoy the car and do some shows!:thumbup:

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that ... what I did on mine and what I think is the best option in the long run is to get the plastic versions that came on the 91/92 Firebird/Camaro and recover those ... they wont brake, wont be affected by water/humidity and will last forever ... oh and they wont brake when someone decides to put their hand on them and push :)

Not sure how many out there do know that GM replaced the crap versions used up until 1990 with plastic frames all molded in one piece but dfenetily the way to go ...

Here's a pair on ebay ... 82-92 Camaro Firebird ABS Plastic Rear Speaker Covers | eBay

There's a number of them on ebay at the moment at different price ranges ... I think I paid 5 or 10 for a pair at the junk yard and got a spare pair just in case as well.

Last edited:

kymmee

Silver Member
Thanks Jan-didnt even know those OEM plastic ones existed! Learn something new everyday.
Kymee - when you recovered with headliner material, did it come out thicker then it was, or does it look the same?
The replacement material has got a foam backed base, so it is thicker than the original, but it looks good in the car. You get like a 5 X 5 piece which says its enough to re-do the sail panels too. I just layed it on top the car and marked where the t top cut outs are. The original stuff I peeled off almost reminded me of like a flannel type cloth.

I got a set of sail panels Jan is referring to in the second post and my question is has anyone tried to install these molded panels ? if you look at the link Jan posted with pics you will see a raised slot at the top, when i tried to install them that part keeps the panel from sitting flush, i guess i could trim it off with a knife or grinder, just wondering if anyone has tried it...

TTA984

Gold Member
Don't know about the plastic molded ones, and the ones from Classic are no good with the velcro.
If I needed sail panels I would get the original ones recovered.I still got the original ones, I just cleaned them and they are good.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
I got a set of sail panels Jan is referring to in the second post and my question is has anyone tried to install these molded panels ? if you look at the link Jan posted with pics you will see a raised slot at the top, when i tried to install them that part keeps the panel from sitting flush, i guess i could trim it off with a knife or grinder, just wondering if anyone has tried it...
Robert I would just trim that off, I never did on mine but you are right wont sit flush unless you do.

Could be the later plastic interior panels have a notch punched into them for the cover to slide into place (where the coat hanger sits) but not sure as I never thought about it.

These plastic panels are definitely the way to go, I got a spare set just in case I ever need them for TTA 1078 or another one; being they only used them for 2 years I thought they might dry up one of these days.

TTOP350

Yes, I kept my originals but have the plastic ones installed in all my cars that didn't have them, Same thing with the 1 piece rubber window triangles, have many spares.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Robert, had my driver side sail panel removed (coat hook screw just fell out) and looked at this and yes you are right the raised slot prevents the panel to sit flush like the originals ... so trimmed it off with razor blade and that took care of it and installs like it should now.

Have to do the same on the passenger side one of these days..

Just thought I would let everyone know.

Top Bottom