Loose / Wobbly Steering Column ?

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure others like me have (well now I can say I had) a slightly loose or wobbly (up and down and sideways) steering wheel / column.

Mine been like that for some time and I kind of put it off looking at how to solve it but last weekend I thought I get it taken care of so took it all apart; tightened up the bolts in question (with Loctite on them) and put it all back ... just put the steering wheel back on this morning and then took it out for a test drive to make sure it all worked again after the "surgery" that had to take place.

And the steering wheel / column is now super tight like on a new car so very happy I did sort this out.

So with the help of the information out there to sort this out you can easily read up on it and use the many sources with pictures to help you do this step by step.

From thirdgen.org
How to: Tighten tilt steering w/pictures - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

The best source I used was this one; just keep in mind we got the VATS key and also the steering wheel controls so some of the parts do look slightly different but otherwise spot on:
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

And get the Steering Pivot Pin Puller (here's the one I bought: Lisle LIS19940 Pivot Pin Remover : Amazon.com : Automotive)

As well as the steering wheel puller (any other method and you might damage some parts in there) and the lock plate compressor tool (will save you lots of aggravation removing and installing that plate).

So well worth the effort but do take your time and be careful when doing it and make sure stuff works properly afterwards.

V6TA-MI

Nice write up Jan. Just a note. The loosening of the tilt assembly is likely caused by pulling the tilt handle and letting the wheel fly up when exiting the car. You will be much better off to guide the wheel to the up position, with your right hand ,when releasing the tilt handle. My $0.02

Top Bottom