1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

New area! What chips do you use/ have used?

Discussion in 'ScanTools / Chip Chat' started by PhillyTurboSix, Feb 14, 2007.

1. 2QUIK6

2QUIK6 Well-Known Member

You may want to check with Bob Bailey on the scanmaster, but if it reads from the ALDL at the slow rate of only 1 frame per 1.x seconds...then lots can happen in that 1.x seconds as far as knock goes. I know there's an update available that makes the scanmaster read more frames per sec, not sure how much and whether or not knock can occur in between those frames being captured and be totally gone by the next frame...thats what Bob would need to tell you... But the Caspers gauge is spliced nto the knock sensor wire so it should be instantaneous anytime a signal is detected on that wire.
    I know with my Direct Scan which captures 18 frames per second, I've never seen my knock gauge light up without a corresponding reading on my Direct Scan.

2. WS6

WS6 Stay thirsty my friends

Bob, you have a similar combo as mine, so go here and read about the scanmaster vs. the Casper's knock gauge.
    http://www.20thtta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2883

The TT chip has an open loop idle and typically may read 750's to 835 at idle. Check for the blinking display pixel thingy to verify open loop status.
    I rarely see mine go down past 500 at idle unless it was an immediate stop and the chip is still in closed loop. But it's just a second or two.

A good test for real knock is to place the car in 3rd gear and while up to 40-45 MPH hit it and watch for knock from that point up.

I think these cars are pre-disposed to false and transitional knock because they are uni body cars. And it seems some 200R4's transmit false knock while others do not on the 1-2 up shift.

...:coffee:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. olddude

olddude Active Member

Mr. Philly, did you buy the $20 stock chip or the $85 enhanced chip from Eric?

4. PhillyTurboSix

PhillyTurboSix Administrator Staff Member

Enhanced is the only way to fly! :)

5. Quiky One

Quiky One Gold Member

You can fly? :wheelchair:

6. olddude

olddude Active Member

Is the scan tool everyone talks about here just another name for a OBD II code reader?

7. WS6

No...first the OBD II is the next generation of on board diagnostics. Ours goes by a couple names, ALDL,CCC3,OBD I. and covers 82-92(and some 93,94 models)

Second, a scan tool is device that monitors(looks at) the data stream of the ECM and gives a "snapshot at that moment" of a number of different sensors,devices and cells that the ECM is using or controlling.

It does however have the ability to log and store codes much like the thing you're describing.

Some scan tools can show 4-6-8 parameters at a single time and some,like the scanmaster, show one thing at a time and can be viewed in order like the steps on an escalator.

The scanmaster also interfaces with most aftermarket chips and is the device used to change chip settings...making it extremely popular.

8. olddude

olddude Active Member

WS6, thanks for the info, who sells the ScanMaster at a reasonable price? What are some of the other brands?

9. echostatic

echostatic Turbooo

The car came with a Red Armstrong 92 octane chip installed and that's what I ran for a good while. I got a TT alky chip after I installed my alcohol injection kit and it's been a great performer. I'm a fan of the Turbo Tweak chips.

10. WS6

The people that make them!
    www.fullthrottlespeed.com

11. TURBO1

TURBO1 Super Cool Member

I just picked up an Actron CP9150 AutoScanner off Amazon.com for $172.90 shipped. It has all the adaptors for OBD1 GM,Chysler & Ford, & OBD-2, along w/other adaptors too. It reads all the live important data & more. I only went this route, since I'll be using it on other vehicles too.

12. olddude

olddude Active Member

Turbo1, have you had a chance to use your CP9150 code scanner yet? If so, does it allow you to adjust your chip like the ScanMaster unit? Thanks

13. TURBO1

TURBO1 Super Cool Member

I've hooked it up, to see what it can do, you can read current data, fuel trims, tps, dtc's, etc. Its a nice scan tool for the money & you can use it on OBD-1 & 2, GM, Ford & Chrysler & Others for OBD2. I just ordered my TT chip w/injectors & just cleaned my intercooler out, once it all comes in I'll fine tune evrything.

14. TTA976

TTA976 Silver Member

I really like Full Throttles Commander Chip. Great cold starts and idle for sure. Other unique options are Launch Assist, Custom Shift Light, Spool Fuel, Race Fan Mode and of course the ability to adjust timing and fuel.

15. Nick Wise

Nick Wise Well-Known Member

My car has a facory chip installed, but came with an old Applied Technology & Research chip in the center console. I dont know much about them except that they went out of business. the chip number is TA137TX-528DNL. Ididn't know if anyone could tell me anything about this chip.

16. Nick Wise

Sorry, forgot to mention it is a PITBULL chip.

17. Quiky One

Quiky One Gold Member

That is a pumpgas street chip. 26 degrees of timing across the board, fans come on at 170, and the TC does not lock.

If you run that chip on pumpgas you will have to shovel the crank into a wheel barrel.

Jason

18. RatFink

RatFink TORQUE

:WOOT: haha, yeah I had one back in the early 90's. Put it in, took the car out then returned to the shop and took it out and sent it back. It sucked.

19. Nick Wise

so it is a good thing it wasnt installed

20. RatFink

RatFink TORQUE

The worst knock issue I've ever heard in any car ever in my life, yes...Throw it in a ditch.

21. Quiky One

Quiky One Gold Member

Probably why it wasn't installed lol

22. Nick Wise

Alright, i have up for bids one Pit Bull chip for an 89 TTA, who wants to buy it? just kidding, its going to the trash right now. Thanks for the info.

23. Nick Wise

I think I am going to call Turbo Tweak next week to order a stock chip.

24. Quiky One

Quiky One Gold Member

Don't throw it out. Send the core to turbotweak!

Jason

25. Nick Wise

Do they reuse old chips?