1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

New Owner With Questions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Trentster5172, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Trentster5172

Trentster5172 Active Member

Hi! I just bought a TTA from a forum member. The wife is currently driving as we drive this beast back from Columbus, OH to Pocatello, ID so I'll post and ask some questions.

First- I think I have car 851 and not 771. The PHS letter says 771, but I looked myself and the VIN matches up with 851in the list. The VIN is 243130, so I think PHS is in error (one or the other). Car came from Bob Fish Pontiac which also matches up with 851.

This car is a time capsule! We will be replacing the cracked wing when we get home. Which one? I was thinking this one from Classic Industries:
    12397143 - 1985-90 Firebird Formula Trans AM GTA Aerowing Wrap Around Rear Spoiler.

2. Trentster5172

Regarding the stock spoiler there is rust chunks inside. Can I expect that the lift hatch will be damaged with rust too? Car appears rust free except the rust chunks falling out of the spoiler.

The rear end has never been serviced. What fluids do you recommend? Is there an additive that is needed?

Lastly- Turbo Tweak? Is that the way to go? Looking for light mod essentials.

3. Trentster5172

Just stopped to get gas. I tightened the hose on the front of the throttle body. Also there was a little black oil in the hose in front of the throttle body. Normal? Car doesn't smoke on start-up cold or warm. Doesn't smoke when flooring it and kicking down into passing gear either. Car doesn't appear to be using oil after almost 600 miles.

4. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

First things first...do not buy a wing from Classic, get it from Hawks thirdgen, you may or may not need the deck repainted, yes TT is the way to go for a chip, whatever you put in the rear add posi additive ,last but not least you need to do a spring cleaning.. most likely there is oil in the IC.. THAT SAID STAY OUT OF THE THROTLE until everything is in order or your new baby will turn into a big headache really fast.... Welcome to the white side and good luck..

michbc3 likes this.
  5. Trentster5172

Thanks! Is there a link for spring cleaning? I assume you just take it all out and clean it?

6. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

Yes you remove the intercooler and clean it with paint thinner, just fill it up and shake, hose it out and turn upside down to dry, usually takes 3 or 4 cans.

Trentster5172 likes this.
  7. Coltsfan1

Coltsfan1 Well-Known Member

Reference PHS not the first time they made a mistake. They said my hardtop was a festival car.....quality control is lacking. Take ur time and enjoy. Agree for sure with prior post. Stay out of her until everything is dialed in.....unless u like changing head gaskets

8. DynoDave

DynoDave Well-Known Member

Road trip in the new TTA. Congrats and enjoy!

9. michbc3

michbc3 Well-Known Member

I also endorse getting the Hawk's Third Gen replacement spoiler.

10. Trentster5172

I ordered the Hawks spoiler yesterday and made arrangements with a very reputable body shop. Hopefully it will be here and done in the next few weeks.

pont1230 and michbc3 like this.
  11. instro84

instro84 Active Member