1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

No 1078 got a new license plate !

Discussion in 'Photo / Video / License Plate Gallery' started by Jan Larsson, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Jan Larsson

Jan Larsson Super Moderator Staff Member

Been on the fence to get a new what we call "cherished number" for TTA no 1078 ... some call it private plate.

Anyway you are restricted to the normal number series and proper spacing between characters etc so you need a bit of imagination when you look for one.

And of course you are limited to whatever is avalible within the legal number series; and you can not put a "newer" number on a old plate however you can use a "older" number so this again limits you to what can be used.

Lots of companies selling legal numbers and prices got no limit specially for very short early style numbers ... one example would be "1 TTA" that at least to be avalible and it was around $15.000 USD (at least that's what they were asking for it).

Anyway I tried to come up with something different but still relevant for me and for other TTA owners ...

So my choice ... wait ... "E9 BOC" ... and we could have some fun asking you to guess what that stands for :dance:

E9 ... would be 89 (so as I said some imagination using what's legal and a released combination).

BOC is simple ... the BOC Flint Powertrain Operations who built our engines and where Bill Owen worked ... BOC is Buick - Oldsmobile - Cadillac ...

I thought about getting CPC (so Chevrolet - Pontiac - Canada) which were the other business line at the time however not unique enough as the history and the fun is more related to our engines than anything else. More info: BOC-CPC - Generations of GM

PAS was not available so could not get that and TTA I could not get a short enough number to fit on one line legally (I could get something like E19 TTA for instance).

Anyway in short I'm happy with this and looks good.

Number plate frame is not an option as I would not have the legal spacing left on the right and left side of the plate (frame would cover up the space and make it illegal for road use).

Attached Files:

2. Jan Larsson

And some of the TTA documentation (cropped examples for you all) from back in the day that made me choose BOC ....

Attached Files:

3. TURBOGTA

TURBOGTA Well-Known Member

Give the guys back their plate from Battle Star Galatica...they've been looking for it Jan

4. pont1230

pont1230 Well-Known Member

interesting plate,it's going to leave some people scratching their headsDontKnow:

5. kymmee

kymmee Silver Member

That is an interesting one Jan. First thing I think of when I hear BOC is Blue Oyster Cult! :)

6. Jan Larsson

Yep and I don't think anyone on this side of the pond will ever get BOC ... E9 they do get ... however its for me only really and its a nice reminder of these cars heritage and "birth" if you like.

7. Jan Larsson

Unfortunately we are very limited in the way we can do this compared to what you guys can get in the US ... and we do need some imagination ....

For anyone interested see:
    NUMBER PLATES -IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS FOR PRIVATE NUMBER PLATES

So in short you can't create your own to replace your existing plate, only choose a replacement that is available (and meet the legal requirements). Meaning you have to find an existing one with the number/letter combination you feel is "personal" to you.

And some are expensive ... "F 1" sold years ago for around $500k USD ...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  8. simo

simo Well-Known Member

Have you climbed it?

Rare Lichen

[​IMG]

9. TURBOGTA

TURBOGTA Well-Known Member

And some are expensive ... "F 1" sold years ago for around $500k USD ...

There will always be people with alot of money doing stupid stuff

10. Jan Larsson

Simo not sure I follow you here?

11. simo

simo Well-Known Member

I though E9 was a reference to Rare Lichen.

12. Jan Larsson

ok might be a language issue as it wont translate into Swedish lol.

Did a search for Rare Lichen and E9 c6 comes up however don't say me anything I'm afraid DontKnow:

E9 and B9 on number plates on this side of the pond would be 89 (in most cases) :yes:

13. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

How bout this, BOC= Bad Old Car or when you get older, Bald Old Cantankerous...;)