Performance Chips

markt111

it seems most are very happy with their TT chips, great drivability, power etc... I need to do something with my car this spring. I have pulled the turbo as it blows a little smoke to send to a fairly local performance shop well known on these boards. I am in the Boston area. The shop is performing their own tunes vs using TT chips. My question is I want to have my car set up good this being my first full season, how are the shop tunes vs Turbo Tweak tunes?

2QUIK6

Hard to beat the adjustability of the TT chips. If this shops tune is not adjustable, I say its a waste no matter who is doing it. I burned chips for locals back in the day, and that is tuff to do as every car is a little different and sometimes a little different each day depending on conditions...All bets are off if they are dyno tuning it, at least it will be good until the next mod. Best route IMO is to get a Gen2 or GenPro with a wide band O2 for feedback to it...then you set your timing and AFR at each rpm interval and never look back and hardly ever have to adjust it again. I just had a new motor put in my GN, builder wanted me to get a FAST system, no need for a street car when you already have a Gen2...he didn't know much about the Gen2 and was surprised at its control and adjustability. That's just my experience.

2QUIK6

Something I forgot to mention, add the Extender G with the Gen2/Pro and you have lots of adjustability for highway lean cruise, spool fueling, boost setting for 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear, TCC lockup, and several other things. More stuff than I have used in the 10 or so years I have had it....hell I hope Bob still makes it! :)

Hi! where we can order those TT chips and the Extender G with the Gen2/Pro. Could you please provide the web site or contact information. Its required take it to the dyno after chip and the G extender installation? Thank You!!

His name is Eric and the website is: turbotweak.com He sells many different chips depending upon your combination, goals and tuning ability. Also, if you don't have a scan master yet, I strongly suggest you get one. It allows you to make changes to the chip as well as keep an eye on knock and fueling.
Hope this helps,
JB

2QUIK6

Here's link to both ScanmasterII and Power Logger.
Turbo Buick
Doesn't look like the Gen2 or Pro is available anymore, the SD2 with Powerlogger looks to have replaced it...All of these things are Bob Bailey inventions, he is on the turbo Buick boards all the time, and responds to most questions, his name on the TB.com forums is TurboBob, he also has a web site Bailey Engineering Homepage

dvernst

What does the shop mean by using their own tunes? How are they making adjustments? If you're looking to make max power with the car, then yes I would recommend getting a Power Logger. If you just want a little more power, and want to make sure the car is running safe a TT 5.7 chip, and a Scanmaster will get the job done. There's absolutely nothing wrong with learning about your car with a basic setup. If you make it too complicated it won't be fun for you to drive.

The shop performs the tune themself according to what your target performance is and your setup, They make all adjustments in the tune, they adjust boost, refine drivability etc... but it is a set it and drive it tune, not driver adjustable... he had performed hundreds of tunes on our cars and GNs.

I like the idea of an adjustable tune but I am a little afraid of making a costly mistake.

Granted this is not for everybody and there is a learning curve but if you can change the oil in a tta you can do a basic tune with a TT chip, its not rocket science... and you may just have fun in the process..

Top Bottom