Recommendations for performance plans

Hi Everyone,

#1192 here. Been researching and learning from the TTA forum family for past couple years. Thanks to all. Doing a minor restoration; body, interior, upgrading suspension, steering, added subframe connectors, etc.

Apologize in advance for the detail, but I need your valuable input on a performance combo. My goal is maximizing the stock engine internals for a fun/fast street car with very rare ¼ mile runs. Engine has around 50K miles.

I already have the following ready to install/reinstall:
  • Extreme Automatics stage 2 tranny w/+500RPM stall converter
  • 3” DP w/internal waste gate from Nick Micale
  • 3” SS Exhaust (deleting cat)
  • Adjustable turbo pressure regulator
  • Walbro 340 fuel pump with Racetronix hotwire kit
  • Stock IC
  • Stock headers
  • Stock rear end
  • Stock MAF
  • Turbo pressure gauge
  • Fuel pressure gauge
  • Wideband gauge (installing sensor on DP)
Tentative Plan:
  • Turbonetics GN Cheetah Stage 1 Turbocharger w/ceramic BB (maintains 3”inlet/2”outlet)
  • 3” Air intake aluminum tubing (K&N cone filter or keep airbox w/K&N?)
  • Alky Control kit
  • Turbotweak 6.1 chip with 60lb injectors @ ?? max PSI w/Alky for stock engine internals
  • Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
  • Scanmaster G
  • Power logger
Last, but not least, tune, tune, tune until it is good.

Main questions:
  • Is the planned turbocharger a good fit for my goals and the overall system?
  • What safe programmed chip boost pressure is recommended for stock engine internals and planned upgrades above?
  • K&N cone filter vs. stock airbox w/K&N filter?
  • Any issues/changes needed to the planned system, what did I overlook?
Thanks in advance for the expert advice!

Last edited:

72firebird

Super Moderator
To start I would go with the TurboTweak SD2 chip and then you can hook your wideband back to the ECU and have a more modern closed loop system to tune on. The powerlogger software is pretty decent and relatively simple, but if you're not experienced you may need to find someone to do the initial base tune. It will allow you then to run speed density and you can remove the factory MAF.

Stock internals on pump gas with alky I would probably stick in the 21 psi range. I'm not sure how far you plan to tear down, but might be worth tossing in a set of head studs if you're almost to that point.

I'm not really best with regards to turbo selection, probably best to look at some of the stock motor GN setups.

Intake and air box definitely replace with a cone style.

To start I would go with the TurboTweak SD2 chip and then you can hook your wideband back to the ECU and have a more modern closed loop system to tune on. The powerlogger software is pretty decent and relatively simple, but if you're not experienced you may need to find someone to do the initial base tune. It will allow you then to run speed density and you can remove the factory MAF.

Stock internals on pump gas with alky I would probably stick in the 21 psi range. I'm not sure how far you plan to tear down, but might be worth tossing in a set of head studs if you're almost to that point.

I'm not really best with regards to turbo selection, probably best to look at some of the stock motor GN setups.

Intake and air box definitely replace with a cone style.
Thanks for the input. From TT's site:

"The SD2 chip is for more advanced tuners. YOU will be tuning it, and it will need to be tuned. It comes with a basic startup tune to get you going. You must have a Powerlogger installed and a MAP sensor connected to the Powerlogger (normally a 3-Bar MAP, but others can be used)...."

They make this option sound more daunting than the powerlogger alone...and it still requires the powerlogger. I might start with just the powerlogger as I'm wanting to continue learning this car and how to tune it. Can always make changes later.

Not planning on tearing down the top of the engine yet. Focusing on sealing up the bottom end first. Hoping to get a decent overall system in place and get it back on the road. Still a lot of work ahead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom