Replacement Power Antenna

BOBTTA#464

Hello All
After replacing my power antenna mast assembly this past weekend on my 88GTA, and paying $115 for it, I got some information from a member on that other site that I thought I would share with all.

Below is details of a EXACT MATCH OF ENTIRE UNIT for our cars available at Auto Parts Warehouse.
It is listed for a Jeep Grand Cherokee, years I believe is 88-92. This was when Jeep was changing from American Motors to Chrysler/Dodge. They used the same assembly as the 82-92 Camaro/Firebirds.
This unit is a direct fit with relay plug, antenna cable,and fender grommet.
It is available for $78ish.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Crown/Antenna/56003151.html

Check it out. I hope it helps out. I bought two and they will be here
tomorrow.

Spare parts and all is a great thing.

Have a great day!
Bob

Last edited:

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Good find, let us know how they do compare to the OEM antenna.

It looks spot on; if you can compare the bracket location that holds it in place (looks different) and the overall length.

Antenna cable looks shorter but that can be transferred over from the OEM unit so not a big deal.

Let us know what you think and how they compare once you get them.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

8289ta

Silver Member
Good find. I found a complete OEM unit NOS in the box that I bought as a spare, but it would suffer the same fate if used so I would need a new cable anyway. Ultimately the best solution is the steel cable as detailed elsewhere on this site. It seems to have held up good so far.

Last edited:

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
Good find, let us know how they do compare to the OEM antenna.

It looks spot on; if you can compare the bracket location that holds it in place (looks different) and the overall length.

Let us know what you think and how they compare once you get them.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
x2 - Yes, please.

pont1230

good find thanks for sharing,they have a write up on turbo Buick about replacing the plastic cable and putting on the steel cable if I'm not mistaken on the turbo trans am section

2QUIK6

good find thanks for sharing,they have a write up on turbo Buick about replacing the plastic cable and putting on the steel cable if I'm not mistaken on the turbo trans am section
Yep, I wrote it and supplied detailed pics. Let me know if you have any questions. Total cost was less than $5 provided your motor and mast are fine, which they normally are, it's that pesky plastic weed eater wire inside that breaks.

BOBTTA#464

OK Guys and Gals. I received my two new replacement antennas yesterday.
They WILL work! YAY! The length,size, 3section mast, motor assembly,and mount tab bracket is identical.
There is two differences though, no biggie.
1. The antenna cable is shorter than original, but just use your old one
2. 3 pin Power connector is shorter than original, again, add to it.

Below are some pictures for comparison.
I did not take pics of my original installed in my car because, well, it's installed.

View attachment 6882

View attachment 6883

View attachment 6884

View attachment 6885

View attachment 6886

Scott89TTA

Mine still works fine but the antenna cable has a bad end on it where it plugs into the radio. Is the cable replaceable and if so where can I get one? I have searched for a couple years unsuccessfully :(

BOBTTA#464

Scott
I have replaced antenna cable ends before by using a new end available through Radio Shack,Digi Key, or Moser Electronics. If you can solder, your in!

Scott89TTA

Scott
I have replaced antenna cable ends before by using a new end available through Radio Shack, Digi Key, or Moser Electronics. If you can solder, your in!
That's what I was hoping to find but I haven't had any luck finding the correct cable end for the factory radio. If I recall there are 2 different sizes (big and small...old style , new style) can't remember which either off hand. Soldering is no problem...been doing it for a living for the last 30 years...NASA certified too along with a bunch of others :thumbup:

Reviving another old thread. Did the replacement unit from auto parts warehouse come with correct bezels/grommets as well as chrome nut? Looking to replace the into on my TTA's exterior with the correct specimen.
Thanks

Fabio...been off the forum for a while. Yes I did... In fact the correct one was already installed on my car. Found the original receipt from the dealer. As luck would have it, the original owner was a TA enthusiast and made sure the correct OEM parts were used. You can I am pretty sure use any GTA/Firebird power antenna grommet / bezel. Feel free to email me directly if you need pictures or what have you. Eighty7vito@yahoo.com

Top Bottom