1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

scan master question

Discussion in 'ScanTools / Chip Chat' started by shovelman82, Aug 26, 2013.

1. shovelman82

shovelman82 shovelman

I'm the new proud owner of #613, just got it home two weeks ago. I do not know a lot about the history of this one but it seems to run a little better than stock. It has a scan master installed but I'm not sure what all the info means. If someone can give me some info or direct me to an owners manual it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am looking to install more accurate gauges, does anyone know were I can get an A pillar pod for two or three gauges?

Thanks!!!

2. TTA984

TTA984 Gold Member

3. shovelman82

shovelman82 shovelman

Thanks a lot! That was what I was needing! I think this was Kman's car at one time. I bought it from a dealer in Fenton MO (St Louis). Kris, if you happen to read this, do you know what mods have been done and any history?

Thanks Again!

4. Kman1971

Kman1971 Well-Known Member

Yep. That was my car last, I sold it to that jag dealer in St Louis last fall at the Mecum Auction in St Charles , IL. I hope you got a great deal on it. He paid about $15k for it after fees and shipping. He didn't have to do anything to it, that car was in mint condition. Check out the support section of fullthrottlespeed.com for all your manuals and tech questions about the scan master. Let me know if it came with my "BADCARR" ILLINOIS license plate. The jag said he would send it to me but never did. Feel free to give me a call or email about the car. I'd be more than happy to help. Sounds like it is at a good home now.

Kris
    708-546-8102
    [email protected]

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. Kman1971

Oh yea, dah...i was sleepy last night when i first saw this post...

#613 has a few mods.... 60lb injectors, turbo tweak chip for 93 octane gas, hot wire kit with Walbro GSS340M fuel pump, 200 amp alternator, field exciter connector from Kasper Electronics, grounding strip from negative lead to chassis.... that's it for engine upgrades.... mostly stock but with modern updates to run right and help prevent the electrical gremlins that plague these cars........

inside the car....scanmaster 2.1 wired in discretely above the rear view mirror.... the main numbers you need to be aware of is the knock retard number at 0 on the main setting...if you see it go above zero, LET OFF THE GAS... this is detonation in the engine and will destroy it... I only saw this happen once on the car... I got some bad gas and it let me know right away....always use at least 93 octane in the car... Make sure you change the oil every 2500-3000 miles... these cars are designed make quick use of the oil if you run the turbo at all, also buy some ZDDP to add to each oil change... this will protect the cam by adding zinc...modern oils don't typically add zinc anymore and this will lead to a wiped bearing or cam problem.... you can also buy Amsoil performance oil which does have Zinc in it...there is a vendor on here that sells it at a discount...just do a search for amsoil.... another weakness on the car is the transmission...it is strong in the car, just be sure to monitor the trans fluid and add to it or change as needed to help extend the life of the trans...

the radio has a custom led turbo faceplate with upgraded stereo and speakers+sub in rear...sounds awesome... and HID 6000K Diamond White fogs and headlights...the headlights are blinding, so I usually just drove around with the fogs...plenty bright and used the headlights as brights..., Mechanically the car is in perfect shape... the paint could use some touch up's...the scratch on the passenger side mirror and door drove me crazy, and the driver and passenger seat should be recovered, there are a couple vendors that make leather repro's for these car but very pricey.....

that's it.... Have fun with the car........ Let me know if you have any other questions...

6. jarredsoon

jarredsoon Gold Member

the stereo turbo faceplate on that car is the coolest interior mod ever!

7. shovelman82

shovelman82 shovelman

You're right! I didn't realize it lit up till I drove it the other night.

8. Jan Larsson

Jan Larsson Super Moderator Staff Member

9. shovelman82

shovelman82 shovelman

Kris, Thanks for the info! that helps a lot! You described the car to a "T". It appears the car is as you sold it. Sorry, there was no plate on the front when I got it. I bought it from a small classic car dealership (Westport Auto) for 15K. Sounds like they were honest about the price, go figure:clap:

10. Kman1971

You just made my day.... I think he may if lost a few dollars on the deal....couldnt of happened to a nicer dealer....lol

I'm just happy it is back in the hands of a tta fan....

Let me know if I can ever help... make sure the tps setting on the scan master is at .42 at idle and no knock when running and enjoy the heck out of it....:beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR rwwusing Tapatalk 2

11. Kman1971

If you really what to have fun with it and turn some heads... put some 295/50-16's Mickey Thompson Street ET's on the rear.... ask me or Jarred how we know....:cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

12. shovelman82

shovelman82 shovelman

I wish I thought of putting bigger tires on the back. I just put new Firestones on yesterday. Thanks again for all the info! It really saved me a lot of time and effort looking at all the parts.
    THANK YOU TTA FORUM!!!

13. pont1230

pont1230 Well-Known Member

congrats on your new purchase,you are going to love these cars and some kick ass power.:headbang:

14. shovelman82

shovelman82 shovelman

Thanks, I'm learning a lot by reading posts and getting some good ideas. So far, the car is KICK ASS!!!. The power really surprised me:eeks:. I just need to fix a few 1980's plastic rattles, and maybe a repaint down the road.

15. kymmee

kymmee Silver Member

Welcome to the TTA forum and congrats on #613. Best kind of car to buy-one from an enthusiast, you know its been taken care of.:thumbup:

16. dwhess504

dwhess504 Well-Known Member

I have a Lotek Gauge pod. I didnt want to screw on to my original piller so bought a complete piller with the pods molded in. I opted to have it painted came out awesome. Fit was good too.

Check it out.
    www.gaugepods.com // Lotek Inc.

17. Raymond Bunch

Raymond Bunch TTA #1416 / 1BADDAM

So, what I'm taking is that the newer 295/50-16 M/T ET Streets, will work with the stock rear, without any other modifications/upgrades correct?

-Ray

18. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

Just my opinion , but the stock trans @ rear where barely able to handle the stock junk, that is where the HP rating come from , the manuf. would not warranty the trans over a giving HP number....

19. tta299

tta299 White Car Fever

a moded TTA needs a 9 in rear