1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

Splices Everwhere

Discussion in 'Tech Tips & Tech Support' started by Lsttype, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Lsttype

Lsttype Well-Known Member

I started digging into my trans ams wiring and it's far worse than I could have imagined. There are splices everywhere. 2 at the ECM harnes, 1 at the ECM memory orange wire, 3-4 by the brake booster. Some kinda random switch by the relays also by the brake booster. Extra wires are all over the place. Might be beyond my capabilities. It has mystery toggle switches under the dash also. Oh well, had to vent. On the plus side, I just converted the car to E85 and it pulls super hard.

2. DynoDave

DynoDave Well-Known Member

Wiring can be a nightmare. But, trace them added on wires one at a time, see where they go, if they are still used, etc. Tackle them one at a time. You'll get there.

3. Lsttype

Thank you. I will just start with one wire at a time. I want this car to be correct.

4. Lsttype

Worked all day on the car today and got all the wiring fixed. Pulled out all of the scotch connectors. It's all back to stock and I feel like I can breathe again lol. This car had some wierd alarm system on it at one time and there were dead wires everywhere. It had a mystery switch under the hood that I am guessing was a way to power on the fuel pump to drain the car for race gas. I also pulled over 15lbs of dead 4 guage stereo power and ground wires. Last thing I have left to do is fix the power wire going to the factory radio because someone couldn't find the blown fuse in the convienence center so the just cut the factory wire and butt connected another wire straight from the fuse panel.

Jan Larsson likes this.
  5. DynoDave

Excellent! My T/A has a dealer installed Goodwrench alarm that is non-functional. I'd love to get the wiring out of there some day, but right now, it's creating no issues. I'm sort of in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode with that item.

6. Lsttype

Thanks Dave, once I dove into it, I found that it wasnt as bad as I thought. I get really frustrated when people wrap wires around the A pillar outside of the car instead of through the firewall. lol

7. DynoDave

I've not seen that done before, thankfully. :cool: