T tops and rear spoiler needed

We’re recently new to the TTA family. Glass is cracked on both tops and the spoiler is cracked and rotting. Any advice on where to look for replacements?

DynoDave

T-tops - If there are not any for sale here, Thirdgen.org had a pretty good sized For Sale area, and there are usually a couple of members parting cars out.

The spoiler - Very difficult to find an NOS piece. And as you have experienced, they do not age gracefully, making good used ones almost impossible to find. There a couple of fiberglass ones out there, from Hawks Motorsports and Classc Industries (I think). From what I have read, the Hawks spoiler seems to get better reviews for styling (more like the original, though not a perfect copy) and for fit (though with any piece of hand made fiberglass, you can expect to spend some time making it fit). Also it is not designed to use the forward mounting points (but can be modified to accept them).

jthompson

I've heard the same about Hawks - not perfect, but best you can find aftermarket. If you're looking to get it anytime soon from Hawks, I would order it NOW. I saw on Facebook the spoilers have something like a 30 week lead time!

michbc3

I bought my used TTA in 2008. The spoiler was deteriorating fast, so I bought the Hawks fiberglass spoiler. The shape and fit was good without any modifications. I handed the part over to my body shop friend who painted it. I installed it. Yes, the attachments are slightly different, but work fine. Cosmetically I can't tell the difference from the original - and I have no worries that it will ever break up and fall apart like the rubber one. No trouble detected - now 12+ years later.

Today I would consider myself lucky that a company would continue to make/carry a huge part like this when there is such low demand.

Note also that the fiberglass replacement is a lighter. So if your hatch gas shocks are in like new condition, they may have a bit more pressure than necessary. Other strengths are available from various sources for other Firebird hatch combinations (small spoiler, no spoiler, with wiper, etc.) for those that want to make a project out of finding the right ones. For me, I turn the key with one hand and guide the hatch "rise" rate with the other. I use both hands to close it. Starting.jpg No big deal.

jthompson

I agree with michbc3. I just bought my TTA a week ago, and the shocks on the hatch are new. I have to guide with one hand and open the lock with the other. I'm honestly worried about not guiding the hatch as it goes up because there's that much power behind the shocks.

michbc3 - where in VA are you? I'm in Durham County, NC. Sweet looking ride there!

T-tops - If there are not any for sale here, Thirdgen.org had a pretty good sized For Sale area, and there are usually a couple of members parting cars out.

The spoiler - Very difficult to find an NOS piece. And as you have experienced, they do not age gracefully, making good used ones almost impossible to find. There a couple of fiberglass ones out there, from Hawks Motorsports and Classc Industries (I think). From what I have read, the Hawks spoiler seems to get better reviews for styling (more like the original, though not a perfect copy) and for fit (though with any piece of hand made fiberglass, you can expect to spend some time making it fit). Also it is not designed to use the forward mounting points (but can be modified to accept them).
Thank you for the info!

michbc3

I agree with michbc3. I just bought my TTA a week ago, and the shocks on the hatch are new. I have to guide with one hand and open the lock with the other. I'm honestly worried about not guiding the hatch as it goes up because there's that much power behind the shocks.

michbc3 - where in VA are you? I'm in Durham County, NC. Sweet looking ride there!
-----------------------
Sorry J. I used to live in Woodbridge, VA. I guess when I moved to Florida in 2013, I was so busy setting the house up that I forgot to update my info. I am in Port St. Lucie, FL now. I had a custom home built here with a 3/5 (three car garage with 5 vehicles in it). Thanks for the complement on the car. At Capacity b.jpg

DynoDave

Yeah, I forgot about the weight difference. I've read that the factory piece weighs in 40 lbs. +. The fiberglass piece just a few.

From a straight line point of view, it's hard to find a single component or upgrade that will save you 40lbs. Aluminum heads maybe (are there aluminum 3.8L heads?)?

From a cornering point of view, that's 40 lbs. very high up, and all the way out at the end of the car....a GREAT place to lose weight.

Plus making life easier for your hatch hinges, struts, and the "deck lid" at the end of the hatch that can get pushed back by high pressure struts.

It's all good, except for the buying it and having it painted part...

Thanks DynoDave. Again, appreciate the info. I have a message into Hawks about current lead times on spoiler. Also been messaging Trans Am Creations about replacement t-tops. Sounds like glass is the way to go there from what I’m reading.

jthompson

This thread on TGO just started last night. Seemed relevant to what you will be doing.

Hatch alignment and paint + aero wing
It's really great to see fresh threads over there. Last year when I was wrenching on a Camaro, I was reading through threads that died in the early 2010s. The site isn't what it used to be as far as fresh content (they are still on February car of the month), but that's probably the best resource for third gens on the web. I hope it continues to be maintained, it was a huge help for me

DynoDave

The site is NOT as active as it used to be. None are, in my experience. Sad, because their "replacements" in facebook and instagram are poor, poor substitutes for a forum, where exchanging technical knowledge is concerned.

But it is by far the most active third gen site. This one gets good traffic, given it's narrow focus.

TTA#299

I think I have a set of lexan t tops ? I know I have some t top bags ... I had to buy like 3 sets of t tops to get a set that wasn’t cracked

I've heard the same about Hawks - not perfect, but best you can find aftermarket. If you're looking to get it anytime soon from Hawks, I would order it NOW. I saw on Facebook the spoilers have something like a 30 week lead time!
Just an update. I ordered the replacement spoiler from Hawks on 5-12 and it arrived today. They told me at the time of ordering that it could be 6-8 weeks. Ended up getting here quicker than that.

Top Bottom