Theeeee Barn find from michigan

kymmee

Silver Member
He should take the offer of 40K. It is beautiful but I doubt it is worth more then that. Check out what has not sold over on Ebay recently.
Yes, 40k is a pretty generous offer. I recall another extremely low mile TTA (I think less than 500 miles although not a festival car) that was advertised on ebay and maybe here long ago for 50k. The problem with the TTA is that it has a very small following and doesnt attract the high roller spenders that bid on Barrett Jackson. For the sake of all our cars' values and for Walt, I wish it would.

8289ta

Silver Member
Yes, 40k is a pretty generous offer. I recall another extremely low mile TTA (I think less than 500 miles although not a festival car) that was advertised on ebay and maybe here long ago for 50k. The problem with the TTA is that it has a very small following and doesnt attract the high roller spenders that bid on Barrett Jackson. For the sake of all our cars' values and for Walt, I wish it would.
Agreed. I would be thrilled if the car brought 50K. It's just not realistic though. I hope I am wrong.

Wow...
I wonder if that will sell?
Maybe he is starting high so he can have room to negotiate, lots of room.
If he sells it for that I'll be impressed and tempted to sell my hard top/cloth that has less than 950 original miles...

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
He has a large amount of original documentation... again, the original owner is several years deceased and a lot of the items were squirreled away for many years, both in the car and in her home. The car is further verified by a current GM Employee who is currently in upper mid-level GM Management/had stored the car all these years.
Good, so I take it he knows then who drove it @ Indy? Just so we can compare notes with the name I have listed for no 108 ....

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Noticed the Hemmings listing says 100 festival cars ...

Here's the correct details for what was used @ Indy
Info about the 1989 cars used at Indy - Turbo Trans Am Forum

No 108 would have been used for press assignments possibly however with the low mileage on it most likely not; and it would not been part of the festival or drivers parade either. However all 150 cars where down at Indy so it was down there that is for sure and my records shows the same.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Hemmings ... 1989 Pontiac Trans Am Indy 500 Pace Car for sale | Hemmings Motor News

Check out the transmission and engine cross members, A-arms etc. ... all black (not sure if paint or something else but not what you would expect a low mileage car to look like) ... same with torque arm, rear control arms and looks like the same "treatment" done to the rear axle.

Don't get me wrong some of those parts should be black from the factory however these do lock painted (including some of the bolts) ... and the a-arms for instance have no paint on them at the very ends (2 inches or so) ...

Shame really

Last edited:

8289ta

Silver Member
Jan - did you see the low mile GN barn find over on Turbobuicks that had some rust underneath? I think Dennis Kirban found it. The owner had it sent to a resto shop and they removed the rust with a liquid treatment. It looked like it was factory fresh when they were done, aside from some minor pitting.
If someone is trying to fetch top dollar for a low mileage original, slathering rust in black paint is not going to cut it. This is about the most money I have ever seen a Turbo Trans Am for sale at. What he did to the undercarriage isn't acceptable at that price.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan - did you see the low mile GN barn find over on Turbobuicks that had some rust underneath? I think Dennis Kirban found it. The owner had it sent to a resto shop and they removed the rust with a liquid treatment. It looked like it was factory fresh when they were done, aside from some minor pitting.
If someone is trying to fetch top dollar for a low mileage original, slathering rust in black paint is not going to cut it. This is about the most money I have ever seen a Turbo Trans Am for sale at. What he did to the undercarriage isn't acceptable at that price.
Yep sure did, and I know the owner ... he owns a rare TTA as well :)

And yes that is what it takes to preserve the car and prepare it for some big $$$ in the future ... it costs money to make money ;)

TTA984

Gold Member
Hemmings ... 1989 Pontiac Trans Am Indy 500 Pace Car for sale | Hemmings Motor News

Check out the transmission and engine cross members, A-arms etc. ... all black (not sure if paint or something else but not what you would expect a low mileage car to look like) ... same with torque arm, rear control arms and looks like the same "treatment" done to the rear axle.

Don't get me wrong some of those parts should be black from the factory however these do lock painted (including some of the bolts) ... and the a-arms for instance have no paint on them at the very ends (2 inches or so) ...

Shame really

It could be painted with eastwoods rust encapsulator or something similar sprayed or brushed on. This is not a normal low mile car with the paint treatment underneath! Makes you kinda wonder about the all the seals in the motor and transmission after all these years!

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator.html

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Hi everyone,I figured I would reply to all of your concerns.The underside of this car an the parts you have mentioned were blistered on the very bottom or the rear end, a arms ,driveshaft and transmission cover.The area's that were affected were wire brushed with an air tool and hand brushed where I could not get safely into with my air tool.All area's were taken down to bare metal and repainted by either spray or hand painted with the appropriate color. The parts that I was able to remove I bead blasted and repainted.(drive shaft,rear axle cover,trans cover and various brkts.)Parts and areas that could be cleaned by hand with a rag and appropriate cleaner were.As you can see all the under body was clean, and cleaned by hand.The trans. cover was repainted with the original color. I can assure you at no time was there any "paint slathering" done to any part of this car.As to your concerns about the seals and other parts that may have been affected by the 23 years in storage I guess I can't respond to that.I can tell you that there are no leaks or sounds at the present time.If someone is going to buy this car to drive I would strongly suggest that they should go through it and have your concerns checked.I myself will not be putting miles on it. I was 9 when I started working at my dads garage and now am 65 and know my way around a garage. I can assure I do not have to sell this car and can afford to take it anywhere to have it worked on.One thing my years have taught me is that it's always about the journey.I only wish that all of you could experience the excitement of a true barn find as I have.Thanks for all your interest.

Walt

[/FONT]

Hi guys, me again,I didn't understand the part about "the two inches of lower control at the end that wasn't painted".SOOOO I went back and looked at the picture in question and realized what you were lookin at was the flash from the camera.Look a little closer and you'll see it.Thanks for pointing it out so I could address it.

Walt

8289ta

Silver Member
Al - there is no hostility. If you are asking that much for a TTA it is going to get critiqued. Clean up is understandable, but the car wasn't preserved as it should be.
Look at this ad and you will see what the car is supposed to look like underneath. Some parts, such as the driveshaft are unpainted. The stabilizer bushings are unpainted.
Pontiac : Firebird Formula 350. 5,305 miles! Loaded. The Best! Rare! in Pontiac | eBay Motors

Check out this thread and you will see how a GN in similar condition was saved properly.
Kirban 1,600 mile '87 GN Barn Find Clean up Thread | TurboBuick.Com
That is not to say Walt's car was as bad as the GN, but if he is asking that amount of money for the car, he should have done some research on how the car is supposed to look, and what is supposed to be painted or not. I hope he finds a buyer that doesn't notice those things. But I was picky about the underside of my car and I didn't spend nearly as much on my car.

Last edited:

8289ta

Silver Member
No harm intended, I do agree with 8289ta on the painted things. Best of luck with the car and with the sell.
Yep - best of luck with the sale. I honestly hope you get good money for the car. These cars need a boost in the sales department. They don't get the recognition they deserve.

Top Bottom