1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

Tire Combo Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by markt111, Nov 20, 2016.

1. markt111

markt111 Active Member

I am looking for new tire setup, I want to run drag radials but have not previously. It appears there are three fairly good options, Nitto NT555, MT SS radial and Toyo Proxes.

What if any are your experiences with the above? I hear the NT 555 is much better than its predecessor, I would like to run the same brands front and rear, I will only go to the track once or twice a year but want good traction on the street. Our cars do not ride like a Caddy so comfort is a factor. It also seems size options for 16 inch rims are minimal. Wear is not a great concern as I plan on only driving 2000 miles a year or so

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. TTA855

TTA855 White lightning drinker

I've heard the MT is a better track tire (more grip), but the Nitto is better on the street (you typed NT555 which is a street tire; I assume you meant the NT555R).
    Keep in mind if you like to corner as fast as you accelerate, you're better off with a true street tire like the Nitto NT05.

markt111 likes this.
  3. markt111

markt111 Active Member

Yes I was referring to the NT 555r the drag radial, I do not see the NT05 listed in a 16" size. A lot of these new tires are designed for new cars with larger wheels.

Is anyone running a drag radial combo on 16s that they like?

4. Lsttype

Lsttype Well-Known Member

image.jpg I just put on M&H Racemasters 275 55 16s haven't had a chance to see how they hook but they absolutely do not rub! I prefer a taller tire in case I need a higher mph in a street race.

markt111 and TTA855 like this.
  5. Lsttype

I don't know why when I upload a pic it turns it upside down on this forum only. :(

6. TTA855

TTA855 White lightning drinker

A taller tire also provides a larger (longer) contact patch.
    I'm having a serious issue with rear tire grip on my stock Hellcat. There isn't a consensus, but most guys on the Hellcat forum go with the Nitto NT555R in the rear for the street.

markt111 likes this.
  7. kidsixpack

kidsixpack Well-Known Member

If you're using an iPhone flip the phone over. There is a default in the phone. Take the pics with the buttons on the right. Took me some time to figure it out.
    KID

8. Lsttype

image.jpg

markt111 likes this.
  9. Lsttype

Thanks, flipped it over and it worked

10. RatFink

RatFink TORQUE

Micky T's hook really well, the nittos are a little less aggressive from my experience.

11. markt111

markt111 Active Member

Well I have ordered the Toyo Proxes TQ, I have flipped back and forth on which tire to run. From what I have read the MT hook good but are squishy in the corners. I am not looking for a full drag tire, I am looking for a better hook 90% on the street with an occasional track run, drivability etc... so I am hoping the Toyos in 275/45/16 fit my needs...