1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

TTA Emblem Restoration

Discussion in 'Rate and recommend parts and or service providers' started by Kman1971, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Kman1971

Kman1971 Well-Known Member

I just got word back from Denny at Third Gen Ranch and he said he could do a set of TTA emblems(Click on TTA Emblems for link to Third Gen Website), like the GTA emblems for around $75. This is his estimate since he hasn't done a set of TTA yet. I will be sending him the set off of RAYDER when I have in for repainting this spring. I will take before and after pics and let everyone know the price. But it looks like a great deal to me.

2. Jan Larsson

Jan Larsson Super Moderator Staff Member

That is great news if he can ... can he get us a better larger photo of those GTA emblems and other he had restored as the one on the web site is pretty small and you can't really see the details.

Also the process used would be good to know just we are are talking about proper gold plating and not some spray paint lol

Oh and a bit worrying he's saying the can touch up the "paint" as none of these emblems been painted rather have melted colored glass on them; but maybe a typo

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. 8289ta

8289ta Silver Member

This would be great if he is replating them. Not a bad price either.

4. Kman1971

Here is Denny's response regarding the refinishing of the emblems and their process. I have also included the pic he sent me below. I am going to send him my set off of RAYDER when it is repainted and I willl post a follow up to this with before and after pictures, turn around time, and cost.

"I can't give away too much on how the emblems are done but there is no painting involved other than a thin clearcoat to protect the finish. (If there are chips in the body colored section of the emblem we can touch it up with paint before the clearcoat but that would be the only time paint is used. I think the metal outlines are slightly darker than the original finish but nothing that most people would notice. It's a process that allows us to put a very nice "near original" finish on at an affordable price. I've attached another picture of before/after emblems, however, it's hard to get a good picture because of the glare on the new emblem."

[​IMG]

5. ttanotchback

ttanotchback Well-Known Member

What ever happened with emblem restoration with Denny at thirdgen ranch?

6. Kman1971

I don't know if anyone else has done their's with him, but I am going to have mine done when it goes in for painting, hopefully soon, still finishing the interior. I'll post before and after pics and price when they are done.

7. TTAGUY

TTAGUY Well-Known Member

Kman1971 did you do it? How they turn out? I got to do #77's emblems too, a new set is way to much money.

8. Kman1971

Not yet, but hopefully in the next month or so. As soon as I do I post before and after pics and the price.

9. TTAGUY

TTAGUY Well-Known Member

Ok thanks because I'll need them also in a month or two.

10. TURBOGTA

TURBOGTA Well-Known Member

Anything on the emblem restore....

11. Kman1971

Nothing yet, my project is taking longer and longer and more $$$ than I had planned... grrrrrrrr

12. 8289ta

8289ta Silver Member

Don't they all?!:eam:

13. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

Amen...:lamo:

14. Jan Larsson

Did anyone try this and have some before and after pictures?

15. Kman1971

Ok, Finally replaced all the emblems on RAYDER and took a picture of the old emblems off the car. You can see how the gold on the edges of the NOS emblems are all tarnished, almost look silver now.

I am sending this set to Denny at ThirdGenRanch for restoration. I will let you know the cost, he quoted me $75. He charges $55 for regular GTA emblem restoration. I will also take an after picture the same way as this one to see if it shows the difference.

[​IMG]

16. Jan Larsson

Look forward to see how they do turn out ... are they pitted at all (typically you see the Indy winged tire emblem being pitted due to it's location).

17. Kman1971

Not pitted, just some cracks or flaws in the original emblems. The gold was really silver looking though.

He only charged me $55 for it, the same as the GTA emblems. I am sure he will charge some extra when he realizes there are couple extra emblems to do. Denny said it would be about a two week turnaround if not quicker.

I will post pics and my review when I get them back.

18. TTA984

TTA984 Gold Member

I hope they come out nice Kris! That is a great price range. I was just checking my emblems I put on from gtaemblems.com, Dave. And the gold is still perfect as the day I put them on. I never use soap or detergents on them but they get waxed with Jax Wax. I suppose care is of the utmost importance keeping them looking good.:beach:

19. tta299

tta299 White Car Fever

I wonder if scott kelly or someone could tell us the actual jewlrey company who made the factory ones are ... and if they can make more / still have the tool an dies ?

20. Jan Larsson

Bastian Company, Inc. - Union Made in the USA Lapel pins, CRDL Magnetic Sculptures, Badges, Belt Buckles, Made in the USA, Union Made products, Coasters, Coins, Key Tags

Not sure when they stopped doing the emblems for GM, someone said they went bust years ago ... might be under new ownership possibly but this is the company that made all emblems for GM including our TTAs.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  21. Kman1971

I swear by Jax Wax too, Mike.

OK. Here is the update. I got them emblems back from Denny at Thirdgenranch.com and I have to say they look pretty good. Compared to what they looked like when I sent them to be done. The gold on the edges was tarnished and Silver basically, now it has been restored to gold again and everything looks shiny and new.

Now I just put a repro set from Carmotorsports on my car and they are definitely more shiny than the restored emblems, but if you want to preserve your factory emblems at a reasonable price, this is probably the way to do it. I was the guinea pig so he only charged me $55, the same as he did for the GTA emblems, but since there are more emblems in the TTA set, he is now charging $85, which I think is fair. Here is the link to Thirdgenranch.com. The pic of the TTA emblems are mine that he just did. It is probably a lot better than my pics but I wanted to show the before and after pics on here. You be the judge. Click on the link below to see all the pics.
    TTA Restored Emblems Slideshow by kriscarr71 | Photobucket
    [​IMG]

22. Jan Larsson

Do you have any better photos ... hard to see how they turned out ... maybe next to a reproduction set if you have one

23. dwhess504

dwhess504 Well-Known Member

Jan, do you reccomend getting original ones refinished and just use repro's on the Car?

My originals are in Great shape, but the indy ones are really silver compared to the rest.

What are NOS complete emblems going for?

24. Kman1971

25. Jan Larsson

That looks pretty good, hard to see if the gold is "glossy" or a bit dull .. but if as shiny as the repro's (or a NOS one) then I will look at getting some done as well. Thanks for posting the photo!