Tta Included In "80's Performance" Exhibit At Simeone Museum - Philly

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth

I submitted an application for #545 to be included in this Special Exhibit, and have been excepted :cool:
The Simeone Foundation Museum is an internationally recognized and award-winning auto museum featuring what they call "sports racing cars" (with lights and fenders) from the early 1900's into the 70's... including a variety of rare cars and many with impressive race histories.
This Special Exhibit runs from June 23 thru July 8 and will highlight the return of Performance in the 80's... and we all know what car did that best :)
More info at the Museum website if needed:
http://www.simeonemuseum.org/

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
Dropped the car off at the Museum yesterday, the staff loves it.
They have the cars arranged in chronological order by model year, so the TTA is several cars down from Jim's GN. We are well represented :cool:

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
Thanks!
I'm sorta waiting to see how much of the info that I gave will be on the little sign... overall there should be more folks that have at least heard of these cars by the end of the Exhibit :)

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
thanks!
I'm headed over there shortly for one of their "Demonstration Days" - this one is called Cubic Inches (basically - the more, the better)... and will feature their 440 Superbird, Twin-H Powered Hudson Hornet, 427 Corvette, plus the 1912 National that has a 441 cu.in :eek: 4 cylinder and a couple of others

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
I see my car in the background of a bunch of pix from the Demonstration Day (Museum photo by Andrew Taylor): That is the Museum's 440-4 speed Superbird.

Here are a bunch of Turbo cars in the special exhibit

Really looks like a nice display. I can see a few cars, but can’t make them all out. Does the turbo display include a Chrysler conquest or thunderbird turbo coupe?
KID

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
^^^ I love the Museum and have been a member almost since it opened.
However, in this case, I'm gonna say that I was a bit disappointed in the size and scope of this Exhibit. The Museum staff is totally at the mercy of who knows about the exhibits and has the right cars and is willing to loan their cars. My current theory is that many enthusiasts of 80's cars don't know that the Museum even exists (I may be an outlier, but also have 2 cars from the 60's) or are just not interested in any history, They had a list of cars that they tried to publicize as examples that would fit the theme (TTA was not listed, but I suggested). They need a bigger audience! They have a very limited staff, and marketing is probably pretty tough.
There are 9 cars in the exhibit:
RX7, TR8, 280ZX turbo, Mustang 5.0, '87 GN (Jim C's), Supra turbo, Dodge Daytona Shelby turbo Z, 300ZX turbo, and TTA
No IROC, no Corvette, no GLHS, no Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, no Saleen Mustang, etc. I was able to get a guy that I know to bring his RX7, otherwise not sure they would have found that either.
Here are a few more photos... lighting is not ideal (great for my car), but you get the idea.

Cool non the less. You’re right about the Iroc and GLHS. They really should have been included. Not always easy to find. I’ve been asked to include my cars in museum exhibits as well as movies. I don’t do it. Probably not all that easy to find people willing to do it.
KID

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
I always remember Car & Driver calling the 5.7 the "OPEC IROC" :D, seems a shame that there isn't one included, they are 80's icons (same for the Turbo Coupe).

Top Bottom