1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

TTA notchback

Discussion in 'History and Memorabilia' started by TURBOGTA, Mar 17, 2014.

1. TURBOGTA

TURBOGTA Well-Known Member

Going to bring it up again TTA notchback at INDY
    I was on GTASOURCEPAGE looking through 1989 build specs and they list one 89 notchabck built. They built notchbacks in 88 and ended it, but one was built in 89 and listed and pictured at INDY...and to drop a notchabck on a TTA is alot work not to mention heavy. The mounting for notchbacks are different than a regular GTA also...

Attached Files:

2. Jan Larsson

Jan Larsson Super Moderator Staff Member

Not a TTA we asked Scott Kelly about it and PAS never made one.

3. TTA579

TTA579 South Bay TTA "Barn" Find

It should be pretty simple to swap the standard hatch to a notchback. Could be dealer produced.

I'd rather have a Kammback made.

4. TURBOGTA

Ok then what's the only 89 notchabck produced?

5. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

There wasn't one... then again if you think about it long enough one might materialize ...:cheers:

6. pont1230

pont1230 Well-Known Member

you still see some Camaro's and trans am with the notch hatch around.Ebay had one on not to long ago for around eight and change,they are rare but never cared for them.

7. simo

simo Well-Known Member

One 1989 Notchback was made for the US Market and more than one was made for the Canadian Market.

Yes 1989 cars.

I talked to one of the engineers who worked at Auto-Fab during the construction of the 1983 Daytona Pace Cars and Nothcbacks.

8. TURBOGTA

Kool simo...

9. okfoz

okfoz New Member

There may not have been a notchback TTA, but there were 2 confirmed Convertibles.

One was ordered by the dealership, Shipped to ASC from the factory and then delivered to the Dealer in California. That one has Leather interior.

The other one was a PAS test car that was shipped to ASC months later to be converted, this one has Cloth.

John

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  10. Jan Larsson

Ok so I now understand where this comes from ... having had the opportunity to see and read a meeting protocol from December 23, 1987 that where put together for finalizing everything to present to the upper general motors management to build our cars ...

People like Tom Goad, Bill Owen, Jeff Beitzel and many more (BOC, CPC, Hydra-matic etc.) where in that meeting.

The original plans and proposal said that CPC would deliver a complete 5.7L TPI NOTCHBACK to PAS for them to pull the engine and replace with the 3.8L Turbo engine as we know it ... credits would been issued when the V8 stuff where shipped back for re-use etc.

So with the end of the notchback in 1988 sometime this would not happen; then with later manufacturing planning the engines would not be swapped out (however this were the roumurs back when I bought my TTA so now I understand where those came from as well) ...

This meeting was in preperation for a larger higher level meeting early January 1988 ... and all the technical issues around packaging, vibration and what not were solved prior to the Dec 1987 meeting all thanks to Bill Owen and done during 86/87 ... first hacked up test cars where originally built in late 85 most likely and 3 other people (at least) tried to solve all the technical issues without success before Bill Owen was brought in but that is another story.

Oh an interesting not shows that they planned for a valet switch :) Not sure what happened to that one.

And they also planned at that time to build 1500 in 1989 to 1991 then shift and use the 3800 engine in 1992 with volumes around 10-12.000 per year .... but we all know what happened to those "plans" ...

So the notchback photo is most likely a regular V8 notchback (I'm 100% sure it is) with early design mockups of decals and emblems to look like a TTA ... and most likely done for the pitch to upper management very early 1988 ... (possibly end of 1987).

And they do refer to the TTA as the 20th Anniversary Trans Am so that was planned from day 1 (more or less) ....

11. Jan Larsson

Thinking about the notchback original plans for the TTA I can now kind of understand why we ended up with the notchback rear seat backs ....:cake:

12. DynoDave

DynoDave Well-Known Member

That would be an interesting doc. to see.

Unless things were quite different in 1987, GM usually is shut down for the Christmas Holiday long before the 23rd.

For some of the program heavy hitters to be prepping for that meeting in the run up to it, and then to get a bunch of heavy hitters to agree to attend a meeting 2 days before Christmas? Man...there must have been some major sense of urgency about this program. That to me is very telling.

13. Jan Larsson

Just remember nothing about this project were "normal" and most of the work were done outside of the normal working hours and no budget were allocated to support it etc.

Dec 23rd meeting did take place with follow up and pitch to upper management on or just after January 7th 1988.

Planned production start (and this was the urgancy of the above meetings and approvals) was Nov 1st 1988 ... so lots of work had to be done before that; everything from design of individual parts needed, supplier relationships, manufacturing planning and build etc ... so not much time to get it all sorted to hit the set deadline.

14. DynoDave

DynoDave Well-Known Member

The car has an interesting history, that's for sure. Thanks again for sharing all of this Jan!

15. BOBTTA#464

BOBTTA#464 Well-Known Member

I always wondered that! hummmm.