1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

Tta Radio On Ebay If Anyone Needs One

Discussion in 'Parts for Sale' started by sdriche, Sep 22, 2016.

1. sdriche

sdriche Well-Known Member

2. michbc3

michbc3 Well-Known Member

Yes. I need one. That one went way too cheap but I didn't see it in time.

3. TTA855

TTA855 White lightning drinker

If you need one because you have one but it is broken, I would recommend sending it to United Radio. They fixed mine for $150. If they can't fix it, they charge nothing, not even for shipping.

4. michbc3

Thanks very much for the tip. I will probably do just that. This thing has several problems - one is intermittent - but doesn't seem to respond to mechanical vibration - like knocking on it. Could be tough to find. Sound is really lousy all the time. Very little bass. Some day I would like to hear what a good one sounds like.

5. TTA855

TTA855 White lightning drinker

With mine, I couldn't turn it off with the power switch. United Radio found a bad IC and replaced it, and it works great again.
    Very little bass could be a problem with the equalizer. The radio also has a loudness button that boosts the bass.
    It wasn't exactly hi-fidelity even when new, which is why a lot of people with GM cars swapped their factory units out for aftermarket ones back in those days.

6. michbc3

The radio in my 1986 Trans Am sounds a lot (!) better. Has much better bass. As an experiment I put the rear speakers from my '86 into my '89. No improvement.

The problem with my '89 radio could be related to the equalizer and maybe more. Sometimes I'll start out on a drive and have to turn the volume up abnormally high to hear a radio station or cassette at normal sound pressure level. When it's like that, the lowest "band" of the EQ seems to do nothing. Then later, the sound level suddenly ramps up loud without any input from me - but not to full volume. The increase isn't instantaneous like a switch or bad connection. It's like somebody is leaning on a volume control - but that isn't what's happening. Like I say, intermittent - a "ghost" problem. Troubleshooting could be very hard. Would be best to just swap it out if I could.