1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

Under hood pics

Discussion in 'Photo / Video / License Plate Gallery' started by bimmerzhp, Jun 9, 2013.

1. bimmerzhp

bimmerzhp Well-Known Member

I need some help. I have a chance to buy a 8k mile TTA. I would like
    Owners to please post pics of their engine bays. Please post pics of original
    Paint without any resprays. If possible I want to see pics for the hood
    Rubber pins and the tag on the support bar showing the numbers.
    I want to make sure that the car I am buying matches.

One question, I notice that the front spoiler where the fog lights are housed
    Looks to be a different color than the quarters on both side. It looks more
    White than the off white the rest of the car looks like. I feel it was resprayed.
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. Jan Larsson

Jan Larsson Super Moderator Staff Member

For the rubber pins I suspect you been the hood bump stops ... these where on the car when painted at the factory to leave the hood open slightly so they will have paint on them.

The tag on the radiator support bar is the number used to keep track of the cars before they got the vin on them, you see this same number on the bar code sticker on the passenger side door and if you got to pasincorporated.com and look at the VIN list for that particular VIN that number is also listed on there so that way you can make sure the VIN not been changed ...

I got loads of good photos of low milage (factory stock) TTAs however would be easier if you post good photos of the engine bay of the one you are looking at and we can help point out any none factory stuff we can see.

I'm thinking about a thread with lots of good photos we can all use as a reference moving forward but need some time to do this one of these days.

3. pont1230

pont1230 Well-Known Member

if you don't mind me asking you how much is the guy selling an 8,000 mile tta for.If the guy had a repaint you would be able to tell unless he removed every piece of weather stripping which I think they didn't unless they would be restoring it from scratch.Who ever painted the car if they did they would have to mask everything with masking tape,if you pay attention to detail you would see over spray somewhere.Is kind of hard to think that someone would re-spray an 8000 mile car ,unless it was involved in a accident but that is my opinion.about the vin sticker it would be pretty much in every panel like the hood,trunk,doors,hatch etc they should all match.Good luck with your purchase,where in qeens are you located,i am in north Flushing .

4. bimmerzhp

The person is asking $16,000. The car was not repainted. I feel that the front spoiler was due to it looking white and not the off white the car was painted from the factory with.

I live by Holy Cross High School in North Flushing as well. We are neighbors!

5. bimmerzhp

I will try to get pics and post them. Thanks for your help.

6. pont1230

I think 16,000 is a good deal for a 8,000 mile tta,you could probably bring him down to 14 and change with no problem I think.I assume for a 8,000 mile car is in great shape,good luck hope you get it for a fair price,i paid 11,000 for mine with 39,000 miles and some of the clear is pealing.Cool we are neigbors,i used to hang out at carvel next to holy cross when I was 18,raced my vette and my bikes at Francis Lewis Prep all the time.A cool place to go on a Sunday morning cruise is to the old OBI at Joans Beach lots of cool cars,hopefully you get your car and we meet up there one sunday,i am the only tta there so far,if you go there is an early hang out people start leaving around 10am in the morning I usually get there around 8am in the morning,once again good luck with the purchase...:)

7. bimmerzhp

Do you still live in the neighbor hood? I never see your car. I have gone to the old OBI many times. I use to have an 86 Mustang GT I took out there. I will let you know if I get it.

8. pont1230

yes I am in the neighborhood 28th ave ,don't take the car out much maybe 4 times a month don't have much free time,maybe you seen my 79 ta I had before it was in primer and gold color with zr1 rims and tires,hope you get it let me know and good luck,if you do you are going to love this car is bad ass..

9. bimmerzhp

Is your car original paint? Would it be possible for me to look at your car to compare the one I am trying to buy? This would be a tremendous help. Let me know.

10. pont1230

My has a repaint which they didn't do a good job the clear is pealing on some spots you could see it but I don't think how this is going to help you and it would have to be on the weekend because the car is parked in briarwood in my parents house.If you want I could go with you to see the car if you have any doughts on the car

11. bimmerzhp

Can you PM me a number to call you to talk? Thanks.

12. tta299

tta299 White Car Fever

[​IMG]

as u can see chrome turbo cover stock besides that

13. jarredsoon

jarredsoon Silver Member

Very nicely detailed and clean! Must be Vanna White :)

14. bimmerzhp

Beautiful! I need to see the engine bay from the front. I want to see the hood bumpers and the support bar with the tag on it. Thanks for posting.

15. pont1230

16. Jan Larsson

17. bimmerzhp

Perfect, thanks! All looks the same. My only question is why the front spoiler does not appear to be the same color as the rest of the car. I might never know this answer.

18. Jan Larsson

Remember the material for the front and rear bumper covers are different and they tend to have a slightly different color.

It should not be hard to see if it's been repainted or not when you see it in person specially if they did not take everything apart and if they did you will see the bolts been tampered with holding it all together.

19. bimmerzhp

The spoiler looks more white than the rest of the car. The lines line up perfect. We will be putting the car on a lift to look under it this weekend.

20. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

I would look REAL hard at that car, plus the number of owner's ect., 16k is really cheap for a 8k mile car... but who know's, you may have got lucky.

21. bimmerzhp

I know the seller for over 20 years and I know the car from the day he brought it home form the dealer. All said this really does not matter to me. I agree with you to really check the car over very closely. I have been trying to buy this car since 1995. This is the 4th time trying. Very long story short, when we get close to changing ownership he backs out. I hope it is different this time.

22. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

In that case you are getting a very good deal.. good luck.

23. bimmerzhp

It could be so cheap becasue he has no intentions again of selling. I will believe it when she is sitting in my garage.

24. tta299

tta299 White Car Fever

thanks that's her jarred ... she has paint on the bump stocks so does my street /strip car

25. 1083turbo

1083turbo Active Member

my front bumper cover is a shade off as well. Im not the original owner but it looks like oe paint. Ive seen allot of ttas with this tone difference. Like anything else if you didnt own it from day 1 you never really know.