1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

What Would You Use For A New Battery?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips & Tech Support' started by markt111, Apr 21, 2017.

1. markt111

markt111 Active Member

Mine is not up to the task, whats a good replacement battery? Any reasonable options to save weight?

2. TTA855

TTA855 White lightning drinker

For a long time now I've used only Optima yellow top batteries. My TTA is not a daily driver, so it sits a lot. The yellow top is a deep cycle AGM, which is not damaged by deep discharges like the starter lead-acid batteries are.

If you're concerned about weight, look into the new lithium car batteries. They're expensive, but much lighter.

3. markt111

markt111 Active Member

does the starting of the car(CCA) hurt the deep cycle batteries? How long have you had the yellow top in the car?

4. TTA855

No. My last yellow top lasted over nine years, and it was still working when I replaced it with another; I didn't know how much longer it would last, and I didn't want to risk getting stuck.

5. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

Optima is the way to go hands down.. just make sure you check the date on it, you don't want to buy one that's been on the shelve for yrs.

6. 1 QUIK6

1 QUIK6 Well-Known Member

I swore by Optimas for a long time. I still have a Red top in my CJ7 that's been in there since May 2001 and it starts every time after sitting all winter. In the late 2000's I heard their quality went down but I still bought dual red tops for my for my truck, one for my TTA and one for a Z28 I had. They were all puchased around 2009-2010. They all lasted about 3 to 5 years. I had one replaced under warranty but the replacement also went bad by 2008. I'm in the market for a new battery for a TTA this year too but it isn't going to be an Optima anymore, they just don't make them like they once did.

I have not tried Yellow tops to see if they last any longer.

7. markt111

markt111 Active Member

I have also heard the Optimas are made over seas now and not the same quality that they were previously....

8. Mark T-TB

Mark T-TB Car Crazy from birth

Pretty sure that when we discussed this a year or 2 ago it came out that the Optima plant is in Mexico(?)
    It was not light weight, but no liquid acid, I "adapted" a Group 78 Delco AGM into #545, thread here:
    AGM Battery?

9. 2QUIK6

2QUIK6 Well-Known Member

So far I have ok luck with the Optima Yellow tops, have one in my 79 and one in my GN, they are about 3 years old now, had one in my boat for about 7 years...BUT...now that I have discovered Odyssey were the ones that made the Die Hard AGM batteries that are now disco'd, I have switched to them so far in both my boats..Made in the USA in PA..rather expensive but I have 3 DieHard AGMs that are 5 and 6 years old and are constantly drained. Between cars and boats I have 12 batteries to maintain, 1 boat has 4 the other has 2..mostly for stereo.
    Oh and I had the same issue with Red Tops, the early 2000s one lasted 7-8 years, then the ones I bought in late 2000 had to constantly be replaced under warranty. I just put down a Die Hard liquid battery that was 13 years old.

10. Mark T-TB

Mark T-TB Car Crazy from birth

^^^ The Die Hard Gold AGM in the GN was dead and would not take a charge in December, I think it was 4 years old. That one was the replacement for a 1-year old one :(
    The 4-year old DieHard Platinum AGM in our van seems OK at 4+years so far.

11. TTA855

The most important thing to do to extend battery life, especially the old fashioned lead acid type, is to keep it fully charged on a battery tender.

12. TTA855

I bought my latest Optima yellow top in July, 2014. Good so far, but I keep it on a tender. At the time, I had heard about Optima's drop in quality so I looked at the X2Power AGM at Batteries Plus but the posts were in the wrong place. The Optima is a drop in replacement.

13. kidsixpack

kidsixpack Well-Known Member

I had a red top last season in my dodge not my tta. It was acting up in the fall. Two years old. I ended up selling it with another car. I had it in the car and the buyer wanted it. Anyway, I replaced it this spring. My car wouldn't start. Did a ton of searching over a three week period. Ended up being my brand new optima battery was no good. I put a Napa in.
    KID

markt111 likes this.