1. The Turbo Trans Am Registry Page is back up. Have a look by clicking on the Registry Link on the menu bar above.

Wheel Cleaning

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by instro84, Dec 22, 2016.

1. instro84

instro84 Well-Known Member

Been need to clean my from wheels good, whats the best way to clean between the spokes without messing up the wheel finish? thanks for the help

2. kwiktsi

kwiktsi Well-Known Member

And on that note, what's the best way to strip the clear without hurting the finish on the gold? Sorry for the thread jack, but its something I've been meaning to ask and your post reminded me :).

3. kymmee

kymmee Silver Member

There are brush kits you can buy for cleaning the gold laces, they are like bottle brushes but smaller. Fit in between all the areas. Spray on something like Simple Green, it wont damage the paint.
    As for stripping the clear, I made a thread several years ago with step by step info on what I did. Here is the link: Wheel refinishing project

4. Mark T-TB

Mark T-TB Car Crazy from birth

FWIW - I've been using the Griot's wheel cleaner, safe for uncoated aluminum and paint.
    Wheel Cleaner - Griot's Garage

Kim - do you have any further detail on the "brush kits"? I got some nice microfiber wands, but even the smallest one doesn't fit in the smaller spots.

5. kymmee

kymmee Silver Member

Mark, I use these from Harbor Freight. Nice selection of sizes and priced right.
    9 Pc Tube/Pipe Nylon Brush Set

6. instro84

instro84 Well-Known Member

thanx for the tips kymmee

7. Jan Larsson

Jan Larsson Super Moderator Staff Member

Kim wont those scratch the paint? I got a couple of those exact kits as well but use them to clean engine parts and such .... I do have a very soft set of other brushes to use with my wheels that I picked up on Amazon I think some time ago; have to look it up and see which ones.

8. kymmee

kymmee Silver Member

They probably would for deep cleaning. I have only used them lightly with mild solution and water. My wheels have new paint, so its basically just to get the dust off.

9. kwiktsi

kwiktsi Well-Known Member

Thank you!

10. bimmerzhp

bimmerzhp Well-Known Member

Use a wheel cleaner that is safe on all wheel finishes. There are a lot of manufacturers who make wheel cleaners that do not contain acid. I use either Griots or Zymol wheel cleaner and a microfiber towel. Spray the wheel let it stand a little spray wheel with a little water then use the towel and go into each opening to clean the wheel. Once clean spray wheel down with strong stream or water.

11. Mark T-TB

Mark T-TB Car Crazy from birth

Thanks Kim, will check it out... probably headed to Harbor Freight pretty soon.

12. robert lee

robert lee Gold Member

I think they are beautiful wheels... but a real PITA to clean, i put new one's on my H/T but then got too lazy to drive it ( or should i say to clean them) lol.. BTW instro84 a hot water PW is worth its weight in gold.