WOW! Check out this 1990 ZR-1

Rodimus_Prime

The new Ford 5.0 is VVT and DOHC, theres no reason GM can't do it also, as well as putting in the direct injection. Ford has always made equal or better power with a smaller displacement engine.

To date really GM has never made anything that can hang with a 4.6 Terminator Cobra that wasnt more than 6 liters.

72firebird

Super Moderator
The new Ford 5.0 is VVT and DOHC, theres no reason GM can't do it also, as well as putting in the direct injection. Ford has always made equal or better power with a smaller displacement engine.

To date really GM has never made anything that can hang with a 4.6 Terminator Cobra that wasnt more than 6 liters.

Guess you're right, I thought they canceled the program right when I left BorgWarner but it looks like it got finished. The cam torque actuated (CTA) phasers are pretty badass, but they're more expensive than the oil pressure actuated (OPA) units. They had a lot of problems with the chain because of the dynamics of having both an intake and exhaust phaser and had some unique chain guides. Unfortunately, I just helped with test stand setup on the motor so I never really got all that indepth with the design.

I'll see if I can find the SAE article on the CTA phasers tomorrow and post it for everyone, they're much faster and use less energy to control than the OPAs.

Guess you're right, I thought they canceled the program right when I left BorgWarner but it looks like it got finished. The cam torque actuated (CTA) phasers are pretty badass, but they're more expensive than the oil pressure actuated (OPA) units. They had a lot of problems with the chain because of the dynamics of having both an intake and exhaust phaser and had some unique chain guides. Unfortunately, I just helped with test stand setup on the motor so I never really got all that indepth with the design.

I'll see if I can find the SAE article on the CTA phasers tomorrow and post it for everyone, they're much faster and use less energy to control than the OPAs.
Cool, thanks, this thread all of sudden is worth a shit!!!
Sound interesting!
:thumbup::idea5::clap:

Top Bottom