What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Quick questions

Benny04

Active Member
Hey guys, I am here asking for another good part for the car. I have just started rebuilding the suspension and am looking for the best replacement front lower control arms for these cars. I have seen many companies that make them but considering this isn't an ordinary trans am I'd like to get the best for the best, if anyone knows who makes that it would be great. ALSO I just found that my intercooler scoop is basically destroyed and while under the car I see that whoever owned this car before me really didn't give a shit about the car-which is great news for me... If anyone has a spare intercooler scoop they would be willing to part with I'm looking! And apparently carr doesn't sell them anymore. Anyway, any help would me amazing. Thanks again!
 
I was able to drill new rivet holes in between the existing ones and get my scoop back together for the most part. Not winning any shows with it, but works as intended.
 
Are you asking about stock replacement lower control arms or aftermarket “performance” control arms? Personally I have just about every aftermarket set made over the years and honestly the stock arms with new bushings is the way to go as most of the aftermarket have no advantage over stock and some even have flaws.
 
Are you asking about stock replacement lower control arms or aftermarket “performance” control arms? Personally I have just about every aftermarket set made over the years and honestly the stock arms with new bushings is the way to go as most of the aftermarket have no advantage over stock and some even have flaws.
Replacement arms, performance doesn't matter to me but the ones on my car currently are in awful condition and replacing the bushings would be a lot of work for a bad control arm. Since my posting this I ended up ordering the spohn control arms for the front, UMI for the rear.
 
Replacement arms, performance doesn't matter to me but the ones on my car currently are in awful condition and replacing the bushings would be a lot of work for a bad control arm. Since my posting this I ended up ordering the spohn control arms for the front, UMI for the rear.

I have had Spohn, PA performance, BMR and UMI front lower arms, currently the UMI are still on the car only cause when I decided to twin turbo the car I knew I would need the extra space for piping so I ordered the k-member kit with arms, after I installed it I realized their was and issue with the design with the spring pocket so I reached out to UMI and spoke to one of the engineers and he agreed with me but at the time there was no plan to change it as per UMI anyway to make a long story short most aftermarket lower arms for thirdgens have flaws whether it’s spring pocket or ball joint angle or strength/weight the stock one just seems to be the best BUT at some point it seems like Spohn must have realized it had issues so he 3-D scanned a stock lower arm and re-engineered his arms though I haven’t tried these yet the are probably the best ones right now as for rears just about any aftermarket are better than stock.
 
Back
Top