What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Reproduction Nose emblem... Who has bought them and from where...

Put my front back on the TTA today and had a look at the after-market (not from oz) on mine and the curvature and pin are just like the OEM emblem I got.

Color of the gold might differ depending on if it's 24k or less (more karats makes it darker).

Dave (oz), how about letting us buy the bad batch (flat) emblems for us to use on plaques etc for shows? You could cut off the pin and sell them as "daft" if you like, would be great to put on the sign used next to the car while at shows.
 
Here is a old to new shot. My OEM one all the gold just about wore off it...

IMG_1365.jpg

Jim, (or anyone) you ever considered having the old emblems brush on plated? There's a lot of companies here in the UK doing this at the car dealerships (emblems, grills etc still on car, or you can send your parts on to them as well), see Gold plating, silver plated, brush electroplating kits

I'm tempted to give it a go (depending on price) and see if it works ...
 
Here is a picture of my car's original with and the GM nos one I put on last year. The original owner told me he bought the replacement one soon after buying the car in '89. Since the original had gold loss on the edge and the letters, why leave the new one in a bag. The GM replacement is noticeable lighter in the badge area. Could be that the center darkened over time?
 

Attachments

  • nose badge1.JPG
    nose badge1.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 14
  • nose badge2.JPG
    nose badge2.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 21
Looking at Jim's picture of 3 badges, I'd say that the GTAemblems badge is the best match to the GM nos one I put on my car.
 
Quote "The original owner told me he bought the replacement one soon after buying the car in '89. Since the original had gold loss on the edge and the letters, why leave the new one in a bag. The GM replacement is noticeable lighter in the badge area. Could be that the center darkened over time?"

"The GM replacement is noticeable lighter in the badge area."

.. THIS IS WHAT WE GET SLAGGED FOR.. yet as shown here .. its original... and you guys know how hard sometimes it is to reproduced a specific small production part.. when .. as demonstrated here.. independently.. the damn colors DO change..
I have another change now .. probably the LAST chance to alter the color so slightly.. in retooling.. we are using two originals.. one NOS.. (damaged) and one from my 55000 mile TTA.. .. BOTH had color differences .. and probably due to sun fade for sure.. but Im going with the NOS coloring.. the one we have.. and .. heck.. I don't know ANY other way to keep people happy on this.. it IS A REAL problem..

Jan.. the other TTA emblems.. and we have destroyed 60 odd of them now.. are the result of finding the pin wrong only.. pitty.. but that's life.. I have around 40 left that are not destroyed yet.. but as they are a Licensed GM part.. each is specific.. I might end up using some on a presentation type wall plaque or similiar.. .. as in the end .. as long as we pay royalities on them.. we comply.
Can't say yet when more will be ready but probably 4-6 weeks off.. . then the kits can come back for people again well priced.

Out of interest.. we are shortly to release the 3rd gen T-top inside pillar mouldings.. in black.. (paint as needed).. and the 3rd gen electric window switches are on the go now.. the full production run of 85-92 firebird Trans am type with grey switch is due in 4-6 weeks.. all are GMRP approved.. & its the last of the three. The first switch... the early 82-84 one is out now & ALOT have been supplied out in the last month..... the 85+ camaro one is due in a week onto the market. A few more 3rd gen parts in in view now as well but thats about all I can say. If you have parts.. that might be viable.. air your thoughts.... as seen here.. nothing happens in a positive way much ..unless people speak up fairly.
 
Last edited:
Sounds good OZ! Nice to see your working with this and hopefully come out with a perfect one! :) I wonder if the ones that made it on the cars were one color and all the ones made to keep on the shelves at GM were another color. Like the hood liners for the Grand Nationals. All the ones that left the factory had 9 buttons to keep the hood liner on but everyone from GM stock only had 8 button holes! So there is one example. One thing is for sure every TTA I've seen with the original nose badge it's the darker looking color in the center so I would try to stay with that if you can. I know I'll buy one if it's the color of that left one :) I have super huge blown up size pictures of those badges if you want to see them Oz.

One other thing to keep in mind is the bend on the nose badge. I noticed yours and the carmotorsports didn't quiet have the bend it needed to mold to the nose. I tried to bend one of the already broken ones I had a little more and it cracked almost instantly! :( You get those 2 things down you'll sell out for sure! I'll pull my nose apart again to replace it! :)
 
Back
Top