What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

How can you tell if the seat covers were changed ...

spikestta

Active Member
I'm looking at a 24k mile tta and the driver's side lumbar looks to nice compared to other cars with lower mileage it has very slight wrinkling no cracks or discoloration at all . But the rest of the interior is just as clean it all match's . I see these cars with 8k,13k,28k, mile's and they all have some wear . Are there tags on the replacements or the originals . what do I look for.. THANKS AGAIN..
 
No tags on the replacements. The Jaxseatcovers.com ones have thicker leather than the GM OEMs. I would check under the seats to compare how they been installed, if only the driver side been replaced you will see a difference I'm sure, also how the material is cut underneathe the seats would be different. Compare stitches etc as well as even if the replacements are really nice they are not 110% the same.
 
Usually you can tell by the feel of the leather. The jax replacement covers are a little more heavy duty compared to the stock ones. It is very possible for it to be in good condition with those miles. The bolster on my TTA shows just about 0 wear. I think it all depends on the owners. A woman owned mine and a bunch of thin frame guys. Me being a bigger guy I recline the seat all the way back when I get in and out of the car so I don't touch that bolster at all. I also soak mine in Lexoil every time I'm in and out of the car to preserve it as well. I also think the jax's replacement covers are a little lighter then the stock color. It is possible someone had a bolster sewed in down the line from the dealer as well. I talked to a guy who worked at a Pontiac dealer who sold several TTA's and he told me they were coming back with under 10K on them with major wear on the bolster. The leather was crap back then but if used and treated right it would hold up. Here is a pic of my seats...

2-3-05-018.jpg
 
i got 8,000 miles and it shows wear. DONT WEAR JEANS or PANTS with BUTTONS!!! Oh and I keep the bolsters all the way open.
 
ChrisKober said:
i got 8,000 miles and it shows wear. DONT WEAR JEANS or PANTS with BUTTONS!!! Oh and I keep the bolsters all the way open.
This is why both my cars are cloth interior cars!
- Dave
 
That's a good thought Quik...............I think I'm going to try to find some tan leather seats out of a '98 or newer TA. How would that look/work? :D
 
89MNTTA said:
That's a good thought Quik...............I think I'm going to try to find some tan leather seats out of a '98 or newer TA. How would that look/work? :D

they'd work alright and I think they pretty much just bolt right up, however the tan in the 4th gens is a much lighter color and won't match the rest of the interior.
 
72firebird said:
they'd work alright and I think they pretty much just bolt right up, however the tan in the 4th gens is a much lighter color and won't match the rest of the interior.

Yea........I had thought about that too............not sure if it's a good idea or not really.........
 
I am thinking of getting enough material, and redoing a set of Recaros for the car.
Then, for shows, just bolt/unbolt the seats.

:beach:
 
mr.turbota said:
I am thinking of getting enough material, and redoing a set of Recaros for the car.
Then, for shows, just bolt/unbolt the seats.

:beach:

That's a better idea...........but, I've never been the type to copy :)
 
Back
Top