What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

New (to me) TTA (maybe #1262)

Hey guys,

I picked up an 86 TA in the 90's when I was 16 up in PA.. and after some questionable teenage decisions, the car was .. well.. taken away.

25 years later I'm down here in Florida and have a 1998 Z28 that has been with me since around 2003, and undergone several stages of modification, and is currently in need of some head gaskets and being stored until I have the time to get that figured out.

Even though I have my Camaro I have always longed for another Trans am.., When it came time to find one, I started looking at low mileage 86 cars that looked just like the one I had (maroon, gold wheels, grey interior) but was finding that the prices were pretty high for a clean car. I figured that if I was spending 15-20k on a clean run of the mill low mileage TA that I might as well start looking at TTA's and spend some more $$ for a better investment long term.

After looking at a few options I picked up a 9700 mile 1 owner TTA that spent its life up in Chicago before the owner passed and a dealership in Ocala took it in. The car came with more documentation than I could have imagined, appears to be mostly stock / original and is an absolute blast to drive. Digging into the receipts and documentation, I found that the original owner installed a ram air kit, a pitbull chip, a polished intake tube, polished turbo shield, and ordered a catalytic test pipe for the car (but it doesn't appear to be installed). I'd like to go through the car and make sure that its safe to drive and nothing is going to get hurt when I get into the throttle.

After doing some reading about the pitbull chip (and confirming that it is is installed) I know that needs to be changed out for something safer. I don't have the stock chip and haven't found it anywhere in the car, but have read that the turbotweak chip along with a scanmaster is the way to go. I am concerned with the interior appearing stock, where do those of you using scanmasters place them? The new guage style looks like it would be the nicest to me.

The car came with a complete owners kit, including the TTA fender badges new in plastic, was it common for these to come uninstalled? The car also included lots of literature, new in box t top shades (foam seems to be out of elasticity and as soon as I touched them it left indentations).

The car also has almost perfect acryclic t tops on it.. which I'd love to store and replace with some glass tops.. but I am finding that glass tops in similar condition to the car are pretty tough to come by, but I am going to try and hunt some down.

The only notable issues that I have found are that the power antenna is either disconnected, or does not work at all, no sound, no movement, the drivers side t top is slightly bowed and makes a pretty bad wind noise above 50mph, and the drivers door regulator has some issues (clunking inside the door when operating What else do I need to dig into on this car?


Thanks in advance for any info, advice, and help!

Ian

64148306673__19A7863C-702D-4C34-8873-374958DCF097.jpg64144539036__685BF2C6-63CB-46C1-B13D-F514979F86C0.jpg64144527564__C3BB95E8-2722-4B7C-ABDF-DADFB26E97EB.jpgIMG_5735.jpgIMG_5725 (1).jpg
 
Congrats on your TTA purchase! I really enjoyed reading your story thanks for the background! Looks like you really got a good one. Are you going to add the decals or badges? I think It would be very unique if you left them off. Car looks great without them. I always said I'd leave them off, but I didn't have a choice by the time I got my car. I think if your patient you will eventually find a pair of glass tops. I also think the turbo tweak chip is the way to go.
KID
 
Congratulations on the purchase!
51148909526_07be3efe57_o.gif


The car also has almost perfect acryclic t tops on it.. which I'd love to store and replace with some glass tops.. but I am finding that glass tops in similar condition to the car are pretty tough to come by, but I am going to try and hunt some down.

Were acrylic tops standard on these cars? I was thinking they didn't come along until the last year or two of 3rd gen. production.
51161661000_04d69846ef_o.gif
 
Yes they came with them early, but Pontiac replaced them with glass. It’s my understanding at the owners request. I’m sure somebody can give the exact details of the situation.
KID
 
ilinter:
Did you receive the removed parts with the car?
KID
Congratulations on the purchase!
51148909526_07be3efe57_o.gif




Were acrylic tops standard on these cars? I was thinking they didn't come along until the last year or two of 3rd gen. production.
51161661000_04d69846ef_o.gif

I'm definitely not going to put the pace car decals on the car, and am up in the air on putting the turbo emblems on. I've not seen pictures of another missing the turbo emblems and it makes it more of a sleeper than it already is.. pretty cool in my book!

Unfortunately no parts came with the car, the orignal owner passed and his wife sold the car. I'll have to post up all of the dealer materials I have with it, I I have a full 1989 dealer option catalog with paint chips and all, every ATR parts catalog ever, about 5 TTA poster / books and more.

To my understanding the cars all came with acrylic tops to start with, most of which were replaced under warranty with glass tops due to scratching and cracking.. but I don't know that for sure.

I ordered a turbo tweak chip last night, drove her to work this am keeping my foot out of the boost (that was hard).. but after disconnecting the negative terminal I've locked the stereo and now need to figure out how to get that thing working!

Thanks guys!
 
press and hold the mute button to awake the stereo

oops Mike beat me to the punch

Thanks for the pics, car looks awesome
 
Last edited:
Back
Top