What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

oil cooler drip

GNX077

Active Member
after installing new engine i have an oil cooler leak, not the oil filter side , but the cooler to oil pump side, is there an o-ring or a gasket , any help or diagrams would be appreciated, thanks
 
Yes, there is what looks like an oil filter type O-ring between the water over oil ,oil cooler and the oil pump cover adaptor(oblong with oil pressure switch).Then there's a smaller O-ring between the adaptor and the pump cover itself.

You can pull the filter and there's the filter adapter and it has a big nut on it.Tighten that down a bit more to tighten up everything a bit more.

I have my front cover off if you need me to snap a picture.
 
Awesome thank you so much I thought I remember seeing something along those lines , looks like I need to tear it down , thank you
 
Let me know if you need some pictures...and I may have extra O-rings in each size too.
 
some pics would be great, also are the o rings still for sale at local auto parts stores ?if not i will purchase them from you if your willing to partwith them , and this forum is great !!! and thanks so much
 
Some photos of when I put mine together.

The large "bolt" holding it all together got 2 o-rings and a copper washer on it, you kind of see that in picture no 1 ... none of those items are avalible anymore so I had to get some that were as close as possible to the originals I took of mine, I should have the dimensions somewhere but need to try to find them.

THe large aluminium adapter have an o-ring where it meets the oil pump housing, this one I remember getting from johnsperformance.com when he was still in business because he sold a slightly thicker version (so large diameter) compared to the stock just because the stock sometimes leaked. So take your old one and get the same size but thicker.

The other side where the oil cooler sits agains the adapter use a regular oil filter square (section) o-ring as theses fit and seal perfect. I got a couple of the new style cheap PG-1218 filters just for this o-ring ($3 or so @ WalMart lol).

Hope this helps ... oh before you tighten it all down make sure the angle of the whole assembly is ok so the coolent lines etc point in the right direction ... then tighten it down properly.
 

Attachments

  • TTA1078 (2).jpg
    TTA1078 (2).jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 37
  • TTA1078 (3).jpg
    TTA1078 (3).jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 39
  • TTA1078 (1).jpg
    TTA1078 (1).jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 40
...more importantly, where does one get the two little hoses that attach to the cooler?

Part number 25533050

Your GM parts dealer can get them from VPI (got 220 in stock) ... however make sure you get a really good discount as they list them @ $25 each ... you need 4 of them.

I used Roto Clamps on all my hoses instead of the OEM style worm clamps as they don't ruin the hoses and looks better in my opinion.
 
Last edited:
And a last picture of mine ... oh and the infamouse repro sticker for the oil cooler I had done ...
 

Attachments

  • TTA1078 (4).jpg
    TTA1078 (4).jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 30
I need the o-ring between the adapter and pump cover. Also need replacements for the copper washer and 2 smaller o-rings. Has anyone found suitable replacements??

Gotta get this oil leak fixed!
 
If I remember correct, not at home so can’t double check, that side I used a new “o-ring” off an oil filter ... if it’s the other side then the GN improved slightly thicker o-ring you can get from GN parts places.

For the other two what I did was to simply measure the copper washer and those small o-rings and got replacements in the correct size from any place selling good quality stuff like that. I most likely have the sizes I ordered (and had no issues since I replaced them 10 years ago) however I’m not back home until end of this month.
 
Back
Top