What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

pilot #5 for sale

You have asked about this before. Pictures and documentation would help us give you an opinion of the value of your car.
 
Last edited:
they all look the same,we all know what they look like,im not askng you if you want to buy it.it has 30k is all orig no mods and its nice thanks
 
Guess you are not going to get the answers you are looking for. Besides - if you are looking to sell something, there is a for sale section for that.
 
They may all look the same, but all are not in the same condition. There are subtle differences, T-top, hard top, cloth, leather, door/windshield decals on/off. Presentation is a good start for a possible sale. Post some pictures and info. This is the best place for an opinion for "what its worth".
 
I would say that it might be worth what someone is willing to pay for it unless you are asking more then that, but if you are willing to sell it for less then someone wants to pay then you will most likely be selling it, but it all depends on what something looks like and condition too, maybe that doesn't matter and you can sell it without that being known. I am not sure, but I hope you get what it ends up being worth by someone who might want to pay for it with something they have. I have 1000 crisp bills if you will take that for it, but I won't tell you the denomination of the bills. :poke:
 
Earl we been talking for some time (since end of last year) to see if you could share photos and documentation of this pilot car just to put in our historic section.

Being a pilot with it's history makes it more interesting (my view) than the normal 1550 TTA's built ... being a hardtop even more so.

However today's condition is very important and so is the paper work that comes with it.

The pilot's were owned by GM up until mid 1989 when sold to PAS at a very low price ... I got copies of Pilot #4's paper work.

The pilots (some maybe not all) were also used for testing and to learn the assembly process so may have been taken apart a few times and then put back on the line again. Scott Kelly would be able to tell us exactly what was going on here.

The Pilot cars also had their engines replaced with production units either when PAS bought them from GM mid 89 or later before sold, I would say when they bought them as that's when they had the parts to do it. Scott would be able to shed some light on this ... wonder what happened to the original engines?

The engine bay still have traces of being none production like the bracket holding the MAP sensor on the firewall, the lines on the passanger side frame rail ...

All pilot's also have the security VIN stickers starting with 1G2 ... and the windshield VIN tag being 1G5 as well as the invoice from GM ...

Pilot no 4 had a chip in the ECM that says 20th TA prototype handwritten on it and some other interesting bits.

So as we emailed about several times for historic reasons this is a car worth documenting on this site, Scott posted on his site the photos from back in the days but current photos and any hisotry (paperwork) for it's whereabouts since the pilot days would be much appreciated by everyone on this site.

Oh here's something interesting .. the gentleman that bought pilot no 4 ... at the time pilot no 5 was sitting next to it and being sold by a broker through a dealership in MI if I remember correct ... he bought pilot no 4 being a t-top then went back the day after to also buy pilot no 5 as he liked a hardtop ... however the hardtop had to be shipped back somewhere (PAS or GM) as it was not supposed to be sold and they also tried to buy back pilot no 4 as none of these cars were to be sold apparently however he kept it ... so the history is somewhat strange and paper trail would clear this up I beleive ... this was back in 1993/94 or so when PAS sold them but could have been slightly earlier as I beleive pilot no 3 sold back in 1990 to a private collector.

Anyway you still got my email and I'm more than happy to post anythign you have to share and we would all really appreciate seeing pilot no 5 after all these years.

PAS, INC Past, Present, and Future of Innovation and Performance
 
Last edited:
"They all look the same?" That has to be the craziest thing I have ever heard of someone selling any vehicle. LOL. If this question was asked a year ago and still no photo's and or documentation I would be very weary of this person even owning this car and if they do own it, maybe the condition is poor. Please understand, no disrespect, however there is a reason you choose not to post pic's and documentation if you really want to sell the car.
 
they all look the same,we all know what they look like,im not askng you if you want to buy it.it has 30k is all orig no mods and its nice thanks

Since they're all the same, I bought mine for $4500 (no joke). I'd set an asking price of $5000 if I were you.

troll-face-meme.png
 
All in all, we are just looking for more information from you. We are all hard core TTA enthusiasts and are interested whether or not we want to buy it or maybe we might know someone who would be interested given more facts or clarification of condition. We are not bad people, but just like facts before we decide to sell our car and put forth the $$$$ to purchase a particular special TTA either a Pilot car, convertible, hardtop or even a Strobe Light car (wink, wink). Hope you can see our point of view when we ask for further info on the nice car you have. :)
 
Based on the info I have, I would value the car in a range of $5,000 to $50,000. Ebay, Mecum, BJ will tell what it is worth.
 
All in all, we are just looking for more information from you. We are all hard core TTA enthusiasts and are interested whether or not we want to buy it or maybe we might know someone who would be interested given more facts or clarification of condition. We are not bad people, but just like facts before we decide to sell our car and put forth the $$$$ to purchase a particular special TTA either a Pilot car, convertible, hardtop or even a Strobe Light car (wink, wink). Hope you can see our point of view when we ask for further info on the nice car you have. :)

+1
 
All in all, we are just looking for more information from you. We are all hard core TTA enthusiasts and are interested whether or not we want to buy it or maybe we might know someone who would be interested given more facts or clarification of condition. We are not bad people, but just like facts before we decide to sell our car and put forth the $$$$ to purchase a particular special TTA either a Pilot car, convertible, hardtop or even a Strobe Light car (wink, wink). Hope you can see our point of view when we ask for further info on the nice car you have. :)

+2.

I think in general, we all think our car is "the best" and worth the most. Mine has flaws (you all saw it at the reunion), but its not for sale, so I dont need to come up with a dollar figure. I would find that difficult to do.
 
Last edited:
Make that +3 for me too, Mike. WELL SAID.:yes:

Considering a mint 2400 mile car just sold for $23k, that tells you what these cars are worth right now. I think a museum quality car with like 6 miles on it would be lucky to sell for $31k, which was the original sticker....so anything that has been driven or modified, even a pilot car is probably worth $15k at the most in great condition...but that is today...It took me 20 years to buy another TTA after I made the mistake of selling the first one so I am in no hurry to sell mine as I am sure most of us here on the forum feel the same way about their TTA.
 
I'd point out the 2400 mile car that sold for $23k was local and the seller needed cash fast, hence why he knocked off $500 every other day till it sold. It's like a stock..it may have hit its 52 week low last week but that doesn't mean that it's price will stay there or that is its true value, could have been a mutual fund dumping it's shares all at once. Let's not forget a salvage titled ttop/leather tta sold at BJ for $19k and a 43k mile ttop/leather sold formuch more than the 2400 miler just a few months ago...I believe it was $24750 iirc.
 
Last edited:
I'd point out the 2400 mile car that sold for $23k was local and the seller needed cash fast, hence why he knocked off $500 every other day till it sold. It's like a stock..it may have hit its 52 week low last week but that doesn't mean that it's price will stay there or that is its true value, could have been a mutual fund dumping it's shares all at once. Let's not forget a salvage titled tta sold at BJ for much more than the 2400 miler just a few months ago.

Barret-Jackson brings publicity, collectors, and foreign proxies. It's not a good barometer for "everyday" car sales.
 
Just don't get, to hear some of you guys talk i should sell both of my TTA'S for $1500 (thats 15 hundred) while i can still get that and be done with it, after all it is 2012 and the sky is falling......:crazy: i don't see where someone hard-up for money is a good barometer for a true value either.
 
Nobody is advocating sub-$5k prices, and only I'm advocating sub-$10k prices, as a joke.

A thing is only worth what someone will pay for it. There is a lot of evidence out there that proves you can get a lot out of these cars if you're willing to put forth the effort to sell to the right buyer. There are also apparently a number of these cars for sale recently pulling numbers between $10k and $15k.

The OP has gotten responses based on the very limited information he's willing to share, and criticism for expecting better results without more info.
 
I think we got off topic here with the price debate (me included) and need to get back to the subject, ( i.e post #13, Mike A.) Show some pics, share some info...
 
He even mentions the pilot car if you are interested with only those 2 partial glimpses in the background,you'd think he would just list it? Thanks for sharing kymmee
 
Hi did share plenty of pics at one point on here (I got them all on my other PC) and it is pilot no 5 ... unfortunately he never told us how much he was asking for it as :(

Anyone happen to live in the area (Middletown OH) and could drop by and talk to him?
 
Back
Top