What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Sitting Since 98'...

Mark Wiggins

Active Member
I haven't had a chance yet to try to turn the motor by hand. I know I need to spray something in the cylinders, but I don't know if it matters whether it is oil (if I can find a way to do it) or WD-40. I know they have to be dry now, I just pray they aren't seized... I also have to do something with the turbo. It moves smoothly, but not freely. It takes only a pinky, but it stops when I do. I will get started today removing the intercooler and whatever else is in my way. Any input is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!
Mark
 
What is the history on the car ? Miles ? Do you know how it lived and died ? Was it stored outdoors ? It is my opinion that fuel related issues should be addressed first .. the rest is somewhat easier ...
 
His wife made him put it up because he was getting in trouble with it... He was the original owner, and he wanted me to have it when he passed last year. I am not sure if he "de-gassed it" or not. I am looking at new stainless fuel, brake, and transmission lines, new coolant hoses, etc. I am also getting a complete engine wiring harness because of critters over the years looking at it as there home. So far, I have evicted the critters, deep vacuumed, aired out, bought a new seal for the hatch, and doing a ton of reading. As soon as I have garage space back, I am going to drop the tank and take a look. Any doubt? New tank... It has just over 36,000 miles on it, and it was running when he drove it home with his last ticket. He then was diagnosed with Alzhiemers before he was able to get back to it. I just don't want to get everything right then turn the key and the motor be frozen or something.

My goal is to get it running safely, have some fun, then restify it not past where it can't be put back to stock. Not going to be a drag car, although it will embarrass some folks. It's a toy...

Thanks!
Mark
 
if it hasn't been started for a long time two or so years you could spray wd40 inside the cylinders,disconect the ecm red wire by the battery crank the engine 20 seconds stop and repeet a few times till you get some oil running threw the motor ,or prime the oil pump.After it starts you will probably hear the lifter ticking for a little bit ,but it will go away once oil has reached them.
 
I will do my best to post part numbers as I find them along with my progress. I promise to ask just enough questions not to annoy you guys. I know you fine folks don't mind questions...

Thanks!
Mark
 
I'd like to see some pics. I'm curious about the condition. Sounds like it shouldn't be to much work to get it up and running.
KID
 
If it hasn't been started in 19 yrs its a good bet that everything from the tank to the injectors needs to be replaced, normally i would say change the oil and start it but that is a long time, you can always put 20 qts of cheap oil in it and drain it replace and then prime the pump.. also do yourself a BIG favor and bag and tag everything you take off, that way you won't be looking for a bridge to jump off of, lol It will be alot of work but its been done before, same thing in my garage now except it didn't sit 19 yrs... and i have another one to look at for reference which is a big time saver.
 
I've done some cleanup. The "After" pics are on my phone. I will put them up later today. It looks a whole lot better with it reasonably clean. I have the engine harness on the way to me right now. It was stored outside and uncovered, so new paint will happen, so I want/need to get new and proper badging. I will need a new wing as the on it is so dry rotted it just crumbles when touched. I am a disabled vet, and I can't keep a full time job. I substitute teach at the high school when I can, so funds aren't huge, and this will take me a while. I love cars though. Get ready for the silk purse (in a couple of years...)! Safe car first, then fun, then pretty.

Thanks everyone!
Mark
 

Attachments

  • KIMG0209.jpg
    KIMG0209.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 53
  • KIMG0210.jpg
    KIMG0210.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 52
  • KIMG0211.jpg
    KIMG0211.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 54
  • KIMG0218.jpg
    KIMG0218.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 53
Cool. Thanks for the pics. Looks like a really fun project. Might take some real money but looks pretty solid.
KID
 
Yeah, I don't believe he did anything to it. I just got the engine harness in the mail yesterday, so now the real work begins!

Mark
 
Back
Top