What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

What is my car worth?

TTA350

Member
TTA # 350 has 107xxx miles, the usual mods, runs great, and is a thrill to drive. I bought a third car three years ago and it lost its garage spot so it has been sitting in the Florida sun and is being cosmetically destroyed by UV. The T-top separator plate is rusted and the rust has started to move to the adjacent paint, so it needs a plate and complete refinishing. It needs new leather, headliner, and shifter knob. The carpets have been replaced.

Here are the mods:

Engine: Stock TTA 3.8 liter turbo, 107xxx miles
Valve spring upgrade 110#
Steel timing gear
Torque strap
Two valve cover breathers
Positive PCV in-line check valve

Turbo: Stock Garrett rebuilt by John Craig (Limit Engineering)
TA61 w/0.63A/R Precision housing
Aluminum bell
Exhaust housing ported, adjustable watergate

Fuel system: Walbro 340 255 liter/hr intank pump
Casper's Electronics volt booster (no cut/splice)
Casper's Electronics fuel pump hot wire kit (no cut/splice)
009 fuel injectors 42#
Custom ECM ROM by Julio Don

Intake: K&N air filter
Open air box with stock lid and Kirban aluminum bottom plate
Hemco plenum, ported/polished
Large 62mm throttle body

Exhaust: 3" AcuFab mandrel bent stainless downpipe
Edelbrock RPM cat-back exhaust w/stock tips (3" intermediate pipe)
Heated O2 sensor

Transmission: Stock 200-4R
Converter Precision Industries Vigilante 3400 stall, #0 pump, #1 stator
Level 10 and TransGo shift kit hybrid
Grand National governor
Auxiliary cooler

Ignition: Stock coil pack/module
Magnecor KV85 ignition cables
AC R42LTS plugs

Suspension: Hotchkiss rear control arms
Hotchkiss tubular Panhard rod
Bilstein front struts
Bilstein HD rear shocks

Brakes: GT rotors dimpled rotors, cadmium chromate
GT pads front, Performance-Z frictions rear

Stereo: Audiovox SPS GC-600 stereo/CD player (matches Pontiac font/color)
Hi-fi 3-way Pioneer front speakers
Hi-fi 4-way Pioneer rear speakers

I'm itching to restore it, but have no place to put it, so thinking about selling? What is the best way to go and what is it worth?
 
How is the dash pad?

Leather is running around 2K for the whole set now if memory serves right, and of course you'd have to get it installed.

A confident/patient person can probably repair the headliner in a day, as long as we're only talking fabric and minor fiberglass repair.

Then probably about 5-8K for a nice paint job as well, I know you don't want to cheap out on a TTA. How bad is the rust in the t-top area? Has it advanced past the t-top bar, and if so, is it surface rust only? That's probably what will really dictate the value here, and of course the real cost of bodywork/paint.

There's a 44K mile TTA on a Facebook group right now for 25K. I don't think miles matter as much if you get the right buyer either. With all things fresh, you're looking at 20-25K in my opinion. I hope that is not insulting, but I've been searching for a while now, and this is the current market for these cars
 
The dash looks good. I don't know how deep the rust goes but it is only an inch or so in front and behind the t-top bar. Katzkin leather is around $1000. The car runs great but need a lot of cosmetic work. The HOA will give me a hard time if I cover it outside. Is the car worth the sum of its parts if I don't keep it? What is it worth as is?
 
Do you think the parts alone are worth that? I have a good friend that just bought a 1990 Ford Bronco with good body and interior but not running and needs at least an engine. He paid almost $9000, with shipping almost $10k!!!
 
Take a few pics showing the issues with the car and put an ad here on the forum. This is the best place to find someone looking for a TTA project!
Take some pics of the Good stuff too. I'm thinking an asking price of around 10K (up to you). Go from there the true value of the car will become apparent .
Of course you can ask what ever you want for the car, but generally it's easier to go down from asking price rather than up.
KID
 
As a parts car around the 10k mark, but then again there are people out there thats not going to sweat $5-6k difference one way or the other...bless there hearts...;)
 
If I didn't have kid 2 on the way, I'd be genuinely interested in a project like this. That's why I'm in the market for a well-sorted TTA instead.

I'd still really like to see some pics of the good and bad, as stated above. Maybe I can convince my nearly 74 year old father he should buy it :p
 
Here are pictures of the bad stuff: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZeYoc2J5QW4JT9hr6
The car needs a complete paint job and rust repair but no door dings at all (never parked near anyone). The driver's seat bottom leather is half gone. The other seats look pretty good but I would replace all four. Front tires are good, the rear Nitto drag radials are bald. I forgot to photograph the headliner, but it is hanging and needs replacement along with the speaker covers and sun visors.

Please don't yell at me for being a bad TTA owner! I did a complete resto in 1997 and it looked great. I know I could do it again, but the card looked great until it lost its garage spot and it will end up back outside! It starts right up and runs awesome. The brakes are soft at the bottom of the pedal throw so I think it could use hoses, but mechanically great otherwise.
 
Man, I wish I had the bandwidth to pick this up. But I'm committed to other project through 2041, by which point I may well be dead. So I'll have to leave this one for someone else.
 
i am interested in the car. were in florida are you. close to tampa? i have a 18 000 mile roller and in need of a lot of parts. how much cash will it take to buy it.
 
No, I haven't sold it yet. It is in my garage. A few people have contacted me. I have been busy but will probably go ahead and sell it. I have a ton of extra parts, as well as collectibles including the presentation box.
 
I'd like to think somewhere in the neighborhood of 30K
KID
Thank you that’s kind of what I was thinking. I have been watching the auctions on them and they are all over the place on price. I have been thinking of selling mine and want to ask a reasonable price for it
 
Back
Top