What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

wheel rim color

procharlie

Well-Known Member
I have two TTAs and want to clean up the rims a little. The silver part has a clear coating but some of the wheels it looks shiny and on others it looks flat/satin. I think the shiny ones might have the flat finish already worn off, but that is a guess. Does anyone know the correct clear finish to apply to the wheels? Is it a satin clear, etc, or something else? Any help is appreciated.
 
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know bare aluminum exposed to the environment will pit/oxidize unless maintained constantly, or coated with something to prevent corrosion. Salt, dirt and brake dust are all good friends.
 
There may be some aluminum corrosion in a few spots, mostly where a scratch has occurred or a balance weight was attached. I will try to clean up some of those spots, but am not sure what top coating to put on, to prevent any more degradation. Thanks for the response.
 
A little reading and I see where people use a 2 part clear coat similar to paint clear coat to protect aluminum wheels. I also see 2 part rattle spray cans for coating plastic headlights and providing UV protection, and would likely work for wheels too. I’m sure there’s some diy videos out there, I didn’t get that far.
 
Back
Top