Looking For 1 Of The 2 Convertibles

Hi everyone: It's been probably about 10 years since I've been back to this forum. Been busy with family, work, kids, etc., however was curious if anyone knows of the 2 convertible owners, and are they ever on this forum? I know it's a long shot but would be looking to purchase one of the convertibles. I took a peek on the Registry, and it shows a Len Mankowski as owning #409, located in Nazereth, PA, which is coincidently only about 40 minutes away from me, however not sure of the accuracy of this information over the course of time. Shoot me a quick PM or response if anyone has any info on these cars.

Regards, Chris.

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Rich bigdoggtta still got the pilot no 3 convertible ... south of Atlanta ... I know he been looking to sell all 3 of his TTAs as a packag years ago but pretty sure he still got them.

Len sold his years ago to a member on here but don’t think he is on the forum anymore ... forgot his name but got it somewhere ... car is still in the east coast

Jan: Thanks for the reply. I recall receiving some useful info back in the day from you, so again thanks for the reply. I know it's a super long shot, but figured sometimes if the word gets out and around, you never know what is possible. If not, and more likely, I'll wind up looking for a mint condition T-Top Leather car. Keep me posted, and shoot me that name if you stumble across it.

Regards, Chris.

TURBOGTA

Last time I spoke to Rich he would sell TTA vert for $125,000. Is the car worth that? NO. Is it worth to you or someone who wants that specific car and the history of that car? Definitely a resounding YES….I have an 89 firebird formula convertible (305 TBI) and my 89 TTA T TOP that I've been building a vert TTA for sometime. Life just got in the way of that goal.

Last time I spoke to Rich he would sell TTA vert for $125,000. Is the car worth that? NO. Is it worth to you or someone who wants that specific car and the history of that car? Definitely a resounding YES….I have an 89 firebird formula convertible (305 TBI) and my 89 TTA T TOP that I've been building a vert TTA for sometime. Life just got in the way of that goal.
125K is certainly too rich for my blood, however do appreciate the response back. If I can catch a piece of the Powerball or Mega Millions, now we're talking.......

2QUIK6

That would be a more practical way to go, find a nice GTA vert and install a Turbo 6 motor and then drive drive drive it all day long and enjoy! Unless you just want one to sit in the garage and have a piece of history.

Nah, would never want it to just sit around. These were meant to be enjoyed and driven. It's like the old saying, not having sex with your wife to keep her tight for the next guy......doesn't make much sense unless you can drive it, although no disrespect to those who just like to detail them and take them from show to show.

TURBOGTA

and Jeff's car was driven. They tested things on it. When they were done with the project for Pontiac I think Scott sent it to ASC to be converted and given to Jeff. It was Pilot car #3

Hi everyone: It's been probably about 10 years since I've been back to this forum. Been busy with family, work, kids, etc., however was curious if anyone knows of the 2 convertible owners, and are they ever on this forum? I know it's a long shot but would be looking to purchase one of the convertibles. I took a peek on the Registry, and it shows a Len Mankowski as owning #409, located in Nazereth, PA, which is coincidently only about 40 minutes away from me, however not sure of the accuracy of this information over the course of time. Shoot me a quick PM or response if anyone has any info on these cars.

Regards, Chris.
Hi Chris, This is Len Mankowski. I visit this forum on occasion because I think that the TTA is a very cool car and one of the very few "modern" collectible muscle cars. I do not own one, but still enjoy the thought that I did. Here is some of the history on the car you were asking about.
Yes, I did own the dealer ordered, factory authorized TTA convertible you are asking about, but sold it quite awhile ago. As we know, the major US manufacturers were Not making factory convertibles back then, but they would allow dealers to accept convertible orders. So, when the dealer placed an order for a new convertible car say back in 1989 (use a Mustang as an example), that car was built at a Ford plant on the regular assemble line and instead of shipping it to the dealer direct the Factory would send it to ASC, American Sunroof, to convert it to a convertible. ASC would also do "factory" sunroofs as well. I am pretty sure that ASC had the conversion facilities very close to the assembly factories and I think that after conversion, ASC would return it to the factory for shipment to the dealer.
The car I owned was ordered by Victory Pontiac along with a number of base engine Firebirds to be sold as convertibles. The big difference was that this dealer ordered, factory authorized TTA convertible also made a visit to PAS before being delivered brand new to Victory. Based on the ASC and PAS stickers, the car was sent to PAS first, ASC second and Victory Pontiac third. If you can find it, Feb 1990 Muscle Car Review magazine had a story on this car.
adclose.JPG letter.JPG

TURBOGTA

I think I might have the ASC file photo art they used somewhere stored away. It was artwork that was used in the ad posted here. Just black & whites then paper usually added color

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
@ TURBOGTA If you do that would be great if you could scan and share; I got a number of the various 3rd Gen firebird ones (and the TTA one; I think I posted that one on here somewhere but if not I can repost as I got it scanned and in pdf format) ... would love to have the ASC one for 1989 !

Here's the TTA advertising artwork … GM Media Planer / Advert Binder

Top Bottom