What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

New Member Need Some Input

JATTA

Active Member
Hello guys, I am a new member here, I recently purchased TTA # 922 and am having some issues with her. The car will crank once, then click and not start. I have addressed the fuel pump, checked the starter, battery, alternator, and their corresponding terminals. Anyone have any idea what it could be? If I creating this thread in the incorrect category, my apologies.
 
Sounds like the starter even though you say it was checked, also make sure the ground is hooked up on back of eng.

That's what I was thinking, I'm buying one to rule that out completely and well since its already out and looks fairly old might as well. The ground is connected to the actual block?
 
My starter (the solenoid) died and got me stranded years ago so with the age of our cars is not a bad idea to replace it ...

I went with a smaller lightweight starter and have had no issues for the past 8 years or so (could be slightly longer).
 
My starter (the solenoid) died and got me stranded years ago so with the age of our cars is not a bad idea to replace it ...

I went with a smaller lightweight starter and have had no issues for the past 8 years or so (could be slightly longer).

I share your idealogy Jan, one of the bolts was a pain to take off, so might as well change it as it looks fairly old. Hopefully it happens to be the culprit of my issue
 
I share your idealogy Jan, one of the bolts was a pain to take off, so might as well change it as it looks fairly old. Hopefully it happens to be the culprit of my issue

The smaller starters (LT1 style) are much easier to install and remove both due to size and weight ... and wont get as hot from the headers/block with the extra space / air around it.


I got mine from here a long time ago (make sure bolts are included as they are shorter than our stock ones) ... you can find the same starter (or similar) all over the place ...

https://secure.jigawatt.com/turbobuicks_vb3/store/proddetail.asp?prod=TBS100
 
The smaller starters (LT1 style) are much easier to install and remove both due to size and weight ... and wont get as hot from the headers/block with the extra space / air around it.

Jan is that the one you are running? Is it a direct swap? The 93-97 LT1 oem starters im guessing?
 
Should be any LT1 starter I guess ... might be best to get one from one of the GN vendors like Fullthrottle, Kirbans, GBodyparts etc.

Or do a search over at turbobuick.com as I know they discussed this more than ones and you will find exactly which ones that do fit our application (same as the grand national).
 
Great, thanks Jan, much appreciated. Quick question while I was changing out my alternator the lower left hand bracket which looks like it bolts on to the intake broke off. Im assuming its necessary to mount the alternator back on. Would the alternator bracket be the same as the GN?

If it's the large accessory bracket you are talking about then yes it is the same as the GN. Only the two metal support brackets on the back of the A/C compressor and alternator are TTA specific.

Post a picture of the bracket in question just to be sure we talk about the same one.
 
If it's the large accessory bracket you are talking about then yes it is the same as the GN. Only the two metal support brackets on the back of the A/C compressor and alternator are TTA specific.

Post a picture of the bracket in question just to be sure we talk about the same one.

Yeah its the large accessory bracket, as the other two are fairly similar and metal while the one that broke is not. Guessing turbobuick would be the appropriate place to look for the bracket as well
 
Yeah its the large accessory bracket, as the other two are fairly similar and metal while the one that broke is not. Guessing turbobuick would be the appropriate place to look for the bracket as well

I have one if you need it, shoot a pm.
 
Not trying to kiss a $* but you guys (Robert andJan) are great for us newbies. You guys both seem eager to help no matter how many times you hear the same ole issues. :thumbup:
 
Not trying to kiss a $* but you guys (Robert andJan) are great for us newbies. You guys both seem eager to help no matter how many times you hear the same ole issues. :thumbup:

Coltsfan, I certainly agree! I got a little worried when I saw 50 views and no input, thanks guys.
 
Happy to help and share whatever I learnt over the years, might not be on here every single day but try to pitch in when I can.

Plenty of knowledgeable people on here to help and a wealth of information to be found already posted on the forum, and glad to hear you appreciate the help provided :yes:
 
Yeah its the large accessory bracket, as the other two are fairly similar and metal while the one that broke is not. Guessing turbobuick would be the appropriate place to look for the bracket as well

That seems to be an issue, well no wonder based on the material it's made out of ... get a spare while at it that's what I do just in case. The mounting ears of the tensioner is another culprit being made of the same material ....

You can never have too many spares :toot:
 
Is this what you are looking for ?
It doesnt seem like it Robert Lee, Im at work right now so i cant get a picture until later on tonight but found this picture on the internet of just a random GN bay. Its the left hand side bracket where its mounted. Ill post a pic tonight of where it broke.
 
Back
Top